* Change server name format
@ 2002-11-27 21:52 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-27 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Group names from server nnml:foo are nnml+foo:bar.

How about renaming these servers from nnml:foo to nnml+foo, for
consistency?

* Re: Change server name format
@ 2002-12-28 20:03 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-28 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Group names from server nnml:foo are nnml+foo:bar.

Well, sort of.  A select method looking like `(nnml "foo")' is often
displayed like "nnml:foo", and I guess that's the default server name
if no other name is assigned.

> How about renaming these servers from nnml:foo to nnml+foo, for
> consistency?

Would that break stuff?

* Re: Change server name format
@ 2002-12-28 21:07   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-28 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Group names from server nnml:foo are nnml+foo:bar.
>
> Well, sort of.  A select method looking like `(nnml "foo")' is often
> displayed like "nnml:foo", and I guess that's the default server name
> if no other name is assigned.

Hm.  But if you enter it in gnus-secondary-select-methods, you have
to use "foo" :-)

>> How about renaming these servers from nnml:foo to nnml+foo, for
>> consistency?
>
> Would that break stuff?

Well, as long as the server-name-to-select-method function continues
to grok the colon, I think nothing should go wrong.

--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Change server name format
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-28 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Hm.  But if you enter it in gnus-secondary-select-methods, you have
> to use "foo" :-)

Yup.  :-)

>> Would that break stuff?
>
> Well, as long as the server-name-to-select-method function continues
> to grok the colon, I think nothing should go wrong.

The whole server/select method thing was, er, less than
well-thought-out to begin with, and it's been kludged with a
gazillion times.  It now kinda works, and I'm frankly a bit scared to
fiddle with it even cosmetically.  :-)

* Re: Change server name format
@ 2002-12-28 22:15       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-28 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The whole server/select method thing was, er, less than
> well-thought-out to begin with, and it's been kludged with a
> gazillion times.  It now kinda works, and I'm frankly a bit scared to
> fiddle with it even cosmetically.  :-)

I think that means that some brave soul should try to unkludge it,
right?  Have Gnus use server names everywhere and have a single place
where select methods are used.

I'm a coward...
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Change server name format
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-28 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> I think that means that some brave soul should try to unkludge it,
> right?  Have Gnus use server names everywhere and have a single place
> where select methods are used.

Yup.  There's some work done towards that end, but I think the basic
thing is just badly designed...