* New gnus-picon.el
@ 2001-12-30  6:12 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-30  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've made a stab at creating a really simple gnus-picon.el, and I've
tested it under Emacs and XEmacs 21s.  Seems to work OK.  There's
functionality missing, though, most notably the remote fetching of
picons.  I'll port that code to the new implementation.

(And there's missing caching, and Newsgroups, etc.)

* Re: New gnus-picon.el
@ 2001-12-30 20:04 ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2001-12-30 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

   From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
   Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 07:12:20 +0100

   > I've made a stab at creating a really simple gnus-picon.el, and I've
   > tested it under Emacs and XEmacs 21s.  Seems to work OK.  There's
   > functionality missing, though, most notably the remote fetching of
   > picons.  I'll port that code to the new implementation.

Thanks for that, Lars. Two minor problems. If you have two addresses in
e.g. To: field:

To: ding@gnus.org, bugs@gnus.org

Both gnus are displayed as picons. OK, but the second `@' is changed to be
`.'.

Second problem: To: header contains Pavel.Janik@linux.cz, but article with
picons contains: Pavel@Janik.linux.cz where cz is properly "piconified"
(first dot is replaced with `@').

What about putting 'help-echo "something (e.g. gnus on the picon of
gnus.org)" over each picon? Also mouse-2 can turn them off ;-) Of course
I know about 100 more important things in Gnus :-)
--
Pavel Janík

Win98 error 001: Unexpected condition: booted without crashing.
                  -- Michal Fojtik in linux@linux.sk

* Re: New gnus-picon.el
@ 2001-12-30 20:22   ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2001-12-30 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

   From: Pavel@janik.cz (Pavel Janík)
   Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 21:04:45 +0100

   > Thanks for that, Lars. Two minor problems. If you have two addresses in
   > e.g. To: field:

[...]

Huh, both problems were already fixed by Shenghuo :-)

   > What about putting 'help-echo "something (e.g. gnus on the picon of
   > gnus.org)" over each picon? Also mouse-2 can turn them off ;-) Of course
   > I know about 100 more important things in Gnus :-)

Still valid. And another one: when you kill the line with picon, the kill
ring should contain the "piconified" name. Now when you kill
e.g. ding@gnus.org where gnus is piconified, kill ring contains ding@.org
which is wrong.
--
Pavel Janík

Everybody would be happy if BIOS programmers would do some more
testing...
                  -- Hubert Mantel

* Re: New gnus-picon.el
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-30 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel@Janik.cz (Pavel Janík) writes:

>    > What about putting 'help-echo "something (e.g. gnus on the picon of
>    > gnus.org)" over each picon? Also mouse-2 can turn them off ;-)

Yup; I'll do that...

>    > Of course I know about 100 more important things in Gnus :-)

Nah.

> And another one: when you kill the line with picon, the kill ring
> should contain the "piconified" name. Now when you kill
> e.g. ding@gnus.org where gnus is piconified, kill ring contains
> ding@.org which is wrong.

How do you do that, though?  How do you specify a string that
"replaces" the image when killing/yanking?

I really should read the Emacs Lisp manual again...