* problem with XEmacs and Mule
@ 2000-10-17  8:37 Sviatoslav Reyentenko
From: Sviatoslav Reyentenko @ 2000-10-17  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

Sorry,may be it is boring question. I use Xemacs 21.1.10 with Mule and Gnus
5.8.7. When i try to send message, it is encoded with iso8859-1 charset,
while i use Cyrillic_KOI8 language environment, and it it impossible to
send  any message with non-latin characters in subject line. And, finally
there are a third problem -- Gnus try to use latin-1 characters to display
artcles with no Content field in newsgroups. Is there any workaround?

Thanks in advance and sorry for bad english.
--
	Best regards,
 Sviatoslav Reentenko.

What kind of sordid business are you on now?  I mean, man, whither
goest thou?  Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?
		-- Jack Kerouac

* Re: problem with XEmacs and Mule
@ 2000-10-21 14:18 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-10-21 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sviatoslav Reyentenko <rsvato@comset.net> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> Sorry,may be it is boring question. I use Xemacs 21.1.10 with Mule and Gnus
> 5.8.7. When i try to send message, it is encoded with iso8859-1 charset,
> while i use Cyrillic_KOI8 language environment, and it it impossible to
> send  any message with non-latin characters in subject line. And, finally

Is the subject encoded as 8bit or quoted-printable?

> there are a third problem -- Gnus try to use latin-1 characters to display
> artcles with no Content field in newsgroups. Is there any workaround?

For a single article, you could type `0 g koi8-r' in the summary
buffer to force the article displayed as koi8-r.

Also, you could set the group parameter charset (e.g. koi8-r) to let
Gnus render those articles in the group as the charset you want.

And you could customize gnus-group-charset-alist to set default
charset for a set of groups.

ShengHuo

* Re: problem with XEmacs and Mule
@ 2000-10-21 22:28   ` Sviatoslav Reyentenko
From: Sviatoslav Reyentenko @ 2000-10-21 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    ZSH> Sviatoslav Reyentenko <rsvato@comset.net> writes:

    >> Sorry,may be it is boring question. I use Xemacs 21.1.10 with Mule
    >> and Gnus 5.8.7. When i try to send message, it is encoded with
    >> iso8859-1 charset, while i use Cyrillic_KOI8 language environment,
    >> and it it impossible to send any message with non-latin characters
    >> in subject line. And, finally

    ZSH> Is the subject encoded as 8bit or quoted-printable?

Here is error message (this is for russian equivalent of 'test'):

Wrong number of arguments: #<compiled-function (start end) "...(496)"
[message "Encoding base64..." nil 0 base64-alphabet inputpos alphabet bits
cols counter work-buffer ((byte-code "<byte code that can't be send>" [work-buffer kill-buffer]
2)) generate-new-buffer " *base64-work*" buffer-disable-undo
base64-encoder-program apply base64-run-command-on-region start end
base64-encoder-switches status t error "%s" char-int 3 base64-insert-char
lsh -18 1 logand -12 63 -6 4 72 ?\n 8 16 ?\= 2 markerp make-marker
insert-buffer-substring "Encoding base64... done"] 8 nil "r">, 3

so, it try to encode as base64, right?

I'd prefer to not encode cyrillic headers, and, of course it concern not only
subject but cc and to fields, and when i get messages with base64-encoded
cyrillic fields, gnus don't decode it in summary nor in article buffer,
while it correct work with sending replies, forwards etc. When gnus used tm
there was variable mime/field-encoding-method-alist but now i don't know
how to work with it :(

    ZSH> And you could customize gnus-group-charset-alist to set default
    ZSH> charset for a set of groups.

Thanks, i've already found it.

--
	Best regards,
 Sviatoslav Reentenko.

* Re: problem with XEmacs and Mule
@ 2000-10-22  1:27     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-10-22  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sviatoslav Reyentenko <rsvato@comset.net> writes:

> Here is error message (this is for russian equivalent of 'test'):
>
> Wrong number of arguments: #<compiled-function (start end) "...(496)"
> [message "Encoding base64..." nil 0 base64-alphabet inputpos alphabet bits
> cols counter work-buffer ((byte-code "<byte code that can't be send>" [work-buffer kill-buffer]
> 2)) generate-new-buffer " *base64-work*" buffer-disable-undo
> base64-encoder-program apply base64-run-command-on-region start end
> base64-encoder-switches status t error "%s" char-int 3 base64-insert-char
> lsh -18 1 logand -12 63 -6 4 72 ?\n 8 16 ?\= 2 markerp make-marker
> insert-buffer-substring "Encoding base64... done"] 8 nil "r">, 3
>
> so, it try to encode as base64, right?

You might load a wrong base64.el.  Possibly, it is base64.el in w3
package.  `M-x list-load-path-shadows RET' may help you find out which
one is loaded.

BTW, is there a builtin base64 in XEmacs 21.1?

> I'd prefer to not encode cyrillic headers, and, of course it concern not only
> subject but cc and to fields, and when i get messages with base64-encoded
> cyrillic fields, gnus don't decode it in summary nor in article buffer,
> while it correct work with sending replies, forwards etc. When gnus used tm
> there was variable mime/field-encoding-method-alist but now i don't know
> how to work with it :(

Are you looking for mm-body-charset-encoding-alist ?

ShengHuo

* Re: problem with XEmacs and Mule
@ 2000-10-22 10:26       ` Sviatoslav Reyentenko
From: Sviatoslav Reyentenko @ 2000-10-22 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    ZSH> You might load a wrong base64.el.  Possibly, it is base64.el in w3
    ZSH> package.  `M-x list-load-path-shadows RET' may help you find out
    ZSH> which one is loaded.

Thanks, the problem was here. It was base64.el from w3 package, but there
was not base64.el in my gnus installation (i got gnus from precompiled
xemacs package -- may be it is bug?)

    ZSH> BTW, is there a builtin base64 in XEmacs 21.1?

There is file base64.c, with some lisp functions like base64-encode-region
and base64-decode-region, but they don't work with second half of ASCII
table.

    >> I'd prefer to not encode cyrillic headers, and, of course it concern
    >> not only subject but cc and to fields, and when i get messages with
    >> base64-encoded cyrillic fields, gnus don't decode it in summary nor
    >> in article buffer, while it correct work with sending replies,
    >> forwards etc. When gnus used tm there was variable
    >> mime/field-encoding-method-alist but now i don't know how to work
    >> with it :(

    ZSH> Are you looking for mm-body-charset-encoding-alist ?

No, but it seems exactly what i need.

--
	Best regards,
 Sviatoslav Reentenko.