* Large attachment splittings
@ 2000-04-20 15:36 nimo
From: nimo @ 2000-04-20 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

I remember in a not so far away past, that every time I tried to send
an attachment, gnus or some other lisp code called by gnus, was
splitting my outgoing mail into small mails appending something like
(part n of m).

There was a way to prevent this that I recall as setting some lisp
variable to nil.  Sort of (setq send-mail-split-large-attachment nil)
or (setq maximum-outgoing-mail-size nil).

Now I'd like to use this functionality again but can't find anything
related.  Where is this?  How can I use this?  Has it been removed?

Thanks for your attention.

Nicolas

--
  Nicolas Morais
  CAE Électronique Ltée,

* Re: Large attachment splittings
@ 2000-04-20 18:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

nimo@p1686.cae.ca writes:

> Now I'd like to use this functionality again but can't find anything
> related.  Where is this?  How can I use this?  Has it been removed?

TM used to split attachments by default.  Gnus 5.8 does not use TM,
and does not, ever, split attachments.

* Re: Large attachment splittings
@ 2000-04-20 18:46   ` nimo
From: nimo @ 2000-04-20 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

ah ah! you answered my last interrogation, which was "was it ever
part of gnus ?", but it was not written in my message...

Well it was in a much more distant time then I though.

Now, if I can ask ?  Is it a good idea to split large attachment in
small parts, is it of any RFCs (because I remember some readers
wouldn't reassemble the original message correctly) or is it simply
forbidden to send large files and asking these questions is just
irrelevant ?

Thanks !

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

nimo@p1686.cae.ca writes:

> Now, if I can ask ?  Is it a good idea to split large attachment in
> small parts, is it of any RFCs (because I remember some readers
> wouldn't reassemble the original message correctly) or is it simply
> forbidden to send large files and asking these questions is just
> irrelevant ?

I've never had any problems sending really, really large
multipart/mixed, so I think the approach Gnus takes (never, ever split
anything) is the sensible one -- especially since some mailers (like,
er, Gnus) can't put the split attachments back together again.  (Gnus
doesn't implement that part of the MIME RFCs.)

* Re: Large attachment splittings
@ 2000-04-27 20:08       ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 2000-04-27 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Nimo@p1686.cae.ca writes:
>
> > Now, if I can ask ?  Is it a good idea to split large attachment in
> > small parts, is it of any RFCs (because I remember some readers
> > wouldn't reassemble the original message correctly) or is it simply
> > forbidden to send large files and asking these questions is just
> > irrelevant ?
>
> I've never had any problems sending really, really large
> multipart/mixed, so I think the approach Gnus takes (never, ever split
> anything) is the sensible one -- especially since some mailers (like,
> er, Gnus) can't put the split attachments back together again.  (Gnus
> doesn't implement that part of the MIME RFCs.)

The only problem is that many mail servers can't handle large mails (1
MB is a common limit for example).

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day cause that means