* Re: bug#8502: Make the agent eagerly cache articles
       [not found] <jwvtye0id2w.fsf@iro.umontreal.ca>
@ 2011-05-01 17:52 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-05-01 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: bugs, 8502, ding

> IIUC gnus-agent-cache only causes headers to be cached.  Not caching
> full articles made a lot of sense a few years ago, but with current disk
> sizes, most/many MUAs happily keep a full local copy of the remote IMAP
> folders and Gnus should be able to do the same.

Downloading articles isn't so much about disk space as network
capacity.  But I agree with you that the Agent should probably download
the articles by default.

Does anybody mind me switching `gnus-agent-predicate' to `true' by
default?

* Re: bug#8502: Make the agent eagerly cache articles
@ 2011-05-02  3:10   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-05-02  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bugs; +Cc: 8502, ding

>> IIUC gnus-agent-cache only causes headers to be cached.  Not caching
>> full articles made a lot of sense a few years ago, but with current disk
>> sizes, most/many MUAs happily keep a full local copy of the remote IMAP
>> folders and Gnus should be able to do the same.
> Downloading articles isn't so much about disk space as network
> capacity.  But I agree with you that the Agent should probably download
> the articles by default.

I'm talking about caching.  I.e. keeping local copies after we've
downloaded them, so it shouldn't increase network traffic, only disk use.

> Does anybody mind me switching `gnus-agent-predicate' to `true' by
> default?

Maybe that would be good, yes.  A better docstring would also be
welcome: I don't understand the current one.

        Stefan

* Re: bug#8502: Make the agent eagerly cache articles
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-05-02  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 8502, ding

> I'm talking about caching.  I.e. keeping local copies after we've
> downloaded them, so it shouldn't increase network traffic, only disk use.

Hm.  Caching?

>> Does anybody mind me switching `gnus-agent-predicate' to `true' by
>> default?
>
> Maybe that would be good, yes.  A better docstring would also be
> welcome: I don't understand the current one.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the download categories (i.e., what
happens when you type `J s').

Let's see...  caching...  so if you're online (in an agentised group)
and select an article, you want the article to be saved in the Agent
directory?  That sounds eminently reasonable, and I thought that was
supposed to happen, but I can't find any code for doing that...  hm...
Nope.

Articles are entered into the (non-agent) cache if `gnus-use-cache' is
set to t, though.

* Re: bug#8502: Make the agent eagerly cache articles
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-05-02 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: bugs, 8502-close, ding

> Let's see...  caching...  so if you're online (in an agentised group)
> and select an article, you want the article to be saved in the Agent
> directory?  That sounds eminently reasonable, and I thought that was
> supposed to happen, but I can't find any code for doing that...  hm...
> Nope.

This is now fixed in git Gnus.