* [BUG] Wide reply
@ 2003-01-18 21:41 Xavier MAILLARD
From: Xavier MAILLARD @ 2003-01-18 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I've found a bug (or it may be a feature ;-) ).

When I mark a few messages with '#' mark and then I want to Wide-Reply
(using R key) to one of them, my answer buffer is opening with all the
mails I previously selected.

It is really ugly cuz' the different processes I used to apply onto a
message I want to reply to failed and do bad things :(

I just want to know if it's normal that all the mails 'marked' appear
in the 'answer' buffer.

Cheers,

zeDek

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: [BUG] Wide reply
@ 2003-01-19 12:35 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-19 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier MAILLARD <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> When I mark a few messages with '#' mark and then I want to Wide-Reply
> (using R key) to one of them, my answer buffer is opening with all the
> mails I previously selected.

R is reply, not wide reply.  Use `S W' for a wide reply.

> It is really ugly cuz' the different processes I used to apply onto a
> message I want to reply to failed and do bad things :(
>
> I just want to know if it's normal that all the mails 'marked' appear
> in the 'answer' buffer.

Yes, it's normal.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: [BUG] Wide reply
@ 2003-01-23 21:58 ` Chris Green
From: Chris Green @ 2003-01-23 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier MAILLARD <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I think I've found a bug (or it may be a feature ;-) ).
>
> When I mark a few messages with '#' mark and then I want to Wide-Reply
> (using R key) to one of them, my answer buffer is opening with all the
> mails I previously selected.
>
> It is really ugly cuz' the different processes I used to apply onto a
> message I want to reply to failed and do bad things :(

This annoys me as well but one thing that helps is that you can do:

C-u 1 R instead of plain R if you have process marked things that you
don't want to reply to.

This acts like I think and replies to the article underneath the point
in the Summary buffer.

My general email reading mode is:

# articles I wish to delete or move in a bit
  find one I want to reply to
  Try to remember C-u 1 F
B Del

Does everyone else use a 2 pass approach to first delete all the spam
that has managed its way into your INBOX?
--
Chris Green <cmg@sourcefire.com>
A good pun is its own reword.

* Re: [BUG] Wide reply
@ 2003-01-24 21:55   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-24 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Green <cmg@sourcefire.com> writes:

> Does everyone else use a 2 pass approach to first delete all the spam
> that has managed its way into your INBOX?

I think most people just use the `E' command to mark messages as
expirable, and let the expiry mechanism take care of actually
deleting the messages.

* Re: [BUG] Wide reply
@ 2003-01-29  1:49     ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2003-01-29  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

|--==> "LMI" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

  LMI> Chris Green <cmg@sourcefire.com> writes:
  >>Does everyone else use a 2 pass approach to first delete all the spam
  >>that has managed its way into your INBOX?

  LMI> I think most people just use the `E' command to mark messages as
  LMI> expirable, and let the expiry mechanism take care of actually
  LMI> deleting the messages.

Because I archive a lot of my mail with `nnmail-fancy-expiry-targets',
I 'B DEL' spam that finds it way into groups I keep.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: 10D5C9C5>---|
|            XEmacs - It's not just an editor.             |

* Re: [BUG] Wide reply
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-02-01 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org> writes:

> Because I archive a lot of my mail with `nnmail-fancy-expiry-targets',
> I 'B DEL' spam that finds it way into groups I keep.

Right...  Hm.  So you have messages that you "expire to keep", and
other messages that you would like to, er, "expire to go away".  Gnus
doesn't really support that (beyond "manually" deleting the messages
with `B DEL'), which seems a pity.

Does anybody see a simple fix for this?

* Re: [BUG] Wide reply
@ 2003-02-01 21:02         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-01 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Right...  Hm.  So you have messages that you "expire to keep", and
> other messages that you would like to, er, "expire to go away".  Gnus
> doesn't really support that

Why don't people populate gnus-move-split-methods in a meaningful
manner and then use B m to "expire to keep"?

Maybe it's too much to hit RET, too.

So a variant on gnus-summary-move-article that would look in
gnus-move-split-methods and then, if an entry was found, would just
archive the message, and if no entry was found, it would scream a
little scream and then do nothing.
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: [BUG] Wide reply
@ 2003-02-01 21:26           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-02-01 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Why don't people populate gnus-move-split-methods in a meaningful
> manner and then use B m to "expire to keep"?

I think people just like the expiry mechanism.  All the new mail are
in a few groups, and then when it gets old, it gets automatically
moved to an archive group.  Makes sense to me...

> So a variant on gnus-summary-move-article that would look in
> gnus-move-split-methods and then, if an entry was found, would just
> archive the message, and if no entry was found, it would scream a
> little scream and then do nothing.

That's a possibility...