* Oort releases
@ 2001-11-05 20:07 Karl Kleinpaste
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-11-05 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Having commented a few moments ago about pGnus releases, it occurs to
me that Oort is essentially never being updated.  That is, Oort has
been in progress for...well, I'm not sure, but it's well over a year,
and we've only gotten up to 0.04 so far.  I'll grant that Lars' former
habits of releasing more than once a day at times was perhaps
excessive, but shouldn't we get a consistent tarball out to folks a
bit more regularly than we have up to this point?  oGnus 0.04 has been
in existence for months, and there really are people who would like to
use the under-development branch without cutting the soles of their
feet on the bleeding edge of daily-CVS' potential hosage.

If Oort isn't actually killing anybody off this week, could we hand
users a new version, and move on to 0.05?

* Re: Oort releases
@ 2001-11-05 20:46 ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2001-11-05 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Having commented a few moments ago about pGnus releases, it occurs to
> me that Oort is essentially never being updated.  That is, Oort has
> been in progress for...well, I'm not sure, but it's well over a year,
> and we've only gotten up to 0.04 so far.  I'll grant that Lars' former
> habits of releasing more than once a day at times was perhaps
> excessive, but shouldn't we get a consistent tarball out to folks a
> bit more regularly than we have up to this point?  oGnus 0.04 has been
> in existence for months, and there really are people who would like to
> use the under-development branch without cutting the soles of their
> feet on the bleeding edge of daily-CVS' potential hosage.
>
> If Oort isn't actually killing anybody off this week, could we hand
> users a new version, and move on to 0.05?

Yes, I think Gnus is experiencing symptoms of "Lars got a life"
syndrome.  It is not as bad as you might think -- the ChangeLog still
shows lots of stuff going on, but the dude who makes releases sure
hasn't been making as many, and I'm not clear on future milestones,
etc.  ;-)

--
matt

* Re: Oort releases
@ 2001-11-05 21:43 ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2001-11-05 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon Nov 05 2001 at 14:07, Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> said:

> Having commented a few moments ago about pGnus releases, it occurs
> to me that Oort is essentially never being updated.  That is, Oort
> has been in progress for...well, I'm not sure, but it's well over a
> year, and we've only gotten up to 0.04 so far.  I'll grant that
> Lars' former habits of releasing more than once a day at times was
> perhaps excessive, but shouldn't we get a consistent tarball out to
> folks a bit more regularly than we have up to this point?  oGnus
> 0.04 has been in existence for months, and there really are people
> who would like to use the under-development branch without cutting
> the soles of their feet on the bleeding edge of daily-CVS' potential
> hosage.
>
> If Oort isn't actually killing anybody off this week, could we hand
> users a new version, and move on to 0.05?

Hear, hear!  And regular releases after that?  With Lars out of
touch/country/planet and the snapshots out of commission, it'd be nice
to have something easily available.

I haven't seen a changelog in ages, but it seems from here that
ShengHuo ZHU, Simon Josefsson, Per Abrahamsen et. al. have sorta
replaced Lars in the daily gnus info loop; perhaps one of them could
make regular (weekly or so?) releases.

Cheers -

Bill
--
Bill White
"No, ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: Oort releases
@ 2001-11-06  8:39   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-06  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bill White" <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> I haven't seen a changelog in ages, but it seems from here that
> ShengHuo ZHU, Simon Josefsson, Per Abrahamsen et. al. have sorta
> replaced Lars in the daily gnus info loop; perhaps one of them could
> make regular (weekly or so?) releases.

That would be nice.  It's not nice to Lars to suggest this, but
sadly, he hasn't been able to devote much time recently.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Oort releases
@ 2001-11-06  9:39 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-11-06  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> That is, Oort has been in progress for...well, I'm not sure, but
> it's well over a year, and we've only gotten up to 0.04 so far.

Since 27-10-2000, judging by the ChangeLog.