* multi-homed emacs displays.
@ 2000-01-05 19:14 wjhardaker
From: wjhardaker @ 2000-01-05 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, with my spiffy new laptop (ok, 6 months old) I've started new
habits with respect to gnus.  Now, I pretty much read mail always on
my laptop (and have thought about switching back to nnml from nnimap
because of speed differences for all but a few folders).  But, my nice
laptop doesn't have a nice well placed monitor like my machine at
home.  So, I run xemacs from the laptop to my desktop.  But then I
found that quitting xemacs every time I went to work was sort of
silly, so I finally got gnuclient working again (which I haven't toyed
with in years) and I'm not comfortably attaching to my running xemacs
on the other box without having to restart gnus.

The problem is that gnus seems to remember which frame it was invoked
in the first time.  Forever.  When you switch to the group buffer in
the newer frame (on the second machine in this case) and enter a group
it creates the summery buffer et al on the frame still on my laptop.
(If I close that one, and try again it creates a 2nd frame on my
desktop screen which is at least better).

I even tried quitting gnus (which is one of the few things I was
trying to avoid) and restarting in the new frame, but it still uses
the original frame.

So...  ???  Anything I can do about it (so I don't have to keep
killing the original frame)?

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: multi-homed emacs displays.
@ 2000-01-06  0:24 ` Rupa Schomaker (list)
From: Rupa Schomaker (list) @ 2000-01-06  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu writes:

> Well, with my spiffy new laptop (ok, 6 months old) I've started new
[snip -- problems with multihomed xemacs]
> killing the original frame)?

I'm not sure how to correctly answer your question, but this is what I
do:

1) I run xemacs in a VNC virtual X.  I *never* interract with that
frame -- it is just homed there.

2) Whenever I want to use emacs, I use gnuclient to get a new frame on
my current $DISPLAY.

3) If I find that gnus is locked to another frame (I forgot to kill
the frame before going to work) I use delete-other-frame to remove all
other frames and then create a homed display on my vnc display.  gnus
seems to then work fine on my (current) display.

I'm sure that fixing the problem you are experiencing will also fix
what happens in 3 and I can stop worrying about it.

--
Rupa (rupa@rupa.com for normal email)
Please don't email duplicate replies.

* Re: multi-homed emacs displays.
@ 2000-01-06 23:01   ` wjhardaker
From: wjhardaker @ 2000-01-06 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

list> 3) If I find that gnus is locked to another frame (I forgot to
list> kill the frame before going to work) I use delete-other-frame to
list> remove all other frames and then create a homed display on my
list> vnc display.  gnus seems to then work fine on my (current)
list> display.

Right, which is what I'm trying to avoid doing...  I want gnus to "do
the right thing".

--

@ 2000-01-06 23:18   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-06 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rupa Schomaker (list)" <rupa-list@rupa.com> writes:

> 3) If I find that gnus is locked to another frame (I forgot to kill
> the frame before going to work) I use delete-other-frame to remove all
> other frames and then create a homed display on my vnc display.  gnus
> seems to then work fine on my (current) display.

Can you use the function gnus-kill-gnus-frames?

kai

* Re: multi-homed emacs displays.
@ 2000-01-07 22:51 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 2000-01-07 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

wjhardaker  writes:

> The problem is that gnus seems to remember which frame it was invoked
> in the first time.  Forever.  When you switch to the group buffer in
> the newer frame (on the second machine in this case) and enter a group
> it creates the summery buffer et al on the frame still on my laptop.

(setq gnus-single-article-buffer nil)

While this sounds like a solution to a different problem, it is not.
Gnus does more interesting things if you set this.

I will connect to my work XEmacs from home, and `C-x b' into *Group*,
and everything works fine.

--
Colin

* Re: multi-homed emacs displays.
@ 2000-01-08 15:44   ` wjhardaker
From: wjhardaker @ 2000-01-08 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin> (setq gnus-single-article-buffer nil)

Colin> While this sounds like a solution to a different problem, it is not.
Colin> Gnus does more interesting things if you set this.

Colin> I will connect to my work XEmacs from home, and `C-x b' into
Colin> *Group*, and everything works fine.

Well, that's definitely odd.  I knew about that variable, but you're
right I didn't think it would help me.

Now, if only it worked...  Unfortunately, it didn't help.

--

@ 2000-01-10 20:16     ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 2000-01-10 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

wjhardaker  writes:

Colin> (setq gnus-single-article-buffer nil)

Colin> While this sounds like a solution to a different problem, it is not.
Colin> Gnus does more interesting things if you set this.

Colin> I will connect to my work XEmacs from home, and `C-x b' into
Colin> *Group*, and everything works fine.

> Well, that's definitely odd.  I knew about that variable, but you're
> right I didn't think it would help me.

> Now, if only it worked...  Unfortunately, it didn't help.

So much for my guesses.  I assumed that since it was creating a new
*Summary* buffer for each group rather than reusing the same one, it
would work.

Generally, my problem is that if I have a *Summary* buffer for a group
in one frame, trying to use it in another frame will have the problems
that you have.

I don't know what to say.

--
Colin

* Re: multi-homed emacs displays.
@ 2000-01-10 21:17       ` wjhardaker
From: wjhardaker @ 2000-01-10 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin> So much for my guesses.  I assumed that since it was creating a
Colin> new *Summary* buffer for each group rather than reusing the
Colin> same one, it would work.

Colin> Generally, my problem is that if I have a *Summary* buffer for
Colin> a group in one frame, trying to use it in another frame will
Colin> have the problems that you have.

It's probably because I also have a *Tree* buffer.  I bet if I turn
off tree'ing it may work.  Since I don't ever actually look at that
window, it certainly wouldn't be a loss (its really just a novelty).

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."