* pgnus-0.35: RET on a MIME part button
@ 1998-10-20 11:55 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-10-20 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

When a MIME part is to be displayed externally, hitting RET the first
time does what one expects: it calls the external viewer.  However, it
also removes the ellipsis, such that the only visible effect of a
second press of RET on that part is that the ellipsis is added again.

While this toggling behavior is meaningful for inlineable parts, I
think it does not make sense for non-inlineable parts.

kai
--
In Turkey, we played well and lost.  In Moldavia, we played badly and won.
This raises the question: which is better?  (Oliver Kahn, German soccer team)

* Re: pgnus-0.35: RET on a MIME part button
@ 1998-10-20 18:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-20 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> When a MIME part is to be displayed externally, hitting RET the first
> time does what one expects: it calls the external viewer.  However, it
> also removes the ellipsis, such that the only visible effect of a
> second press of RET on that part is that the ellipsis is added again.

Well -- and the external viewer is killed, which might be visible (or
not).  The ellipsis says (in a way) what the `RET' command is going to
do -- if there are ellipsis there, then the thing will be displayed;
if not not.

* Re: pgnus-0.35: RET on a MIME part button
@ 1998-10-21  9:15   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-10-21  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > Well -- and the external viewer is killed, which might be visible
  > (or not).

Oh, I didn't realize that.  I tried it on a PDF file, and Acrobat
takes so long to come up that I didn't know why it didn't come up.

kai
--

@ 1998-10-21 21:30     ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1998-10-21 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >   > Well -- and the external viewer is killed, which might be visible
 >   > (or not).

 > Oh, I didn't realize that.  I tried it on a PDF file, and Acrobat
 > takes so long to come up that I didn't know why it didn't come up.

Hmm.  Maybe when the external viewer is run, there should be a
message to that effect...
	Viewing with ghostview; use RET to kill viewer.

--Paul

* Re: pgnus-0.35: RET on a MIME part button
@ 1998-10-22  2:06       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-22  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Franklin <paul@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> Hmm.  Maybe when the external viewer is run, there should be a
> message to that effect...
> 	Viewing with ghostview; use RET to kill viewer.

Yup.  Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.37.