* primary selection method: nnmail?
@ 1998-09-21  6:49 Jens-Ulrik Petersen
From: Jens-Ulrik Petersen @ 1998-09-21  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Our local news-server died some weeks ago.  Now I have reconfigured
for another news-server.  In the process, I decided to change the
primary selection method to nnml (instead of nntp)!  I am not sure how
wise an experiment this was, but after editting .newsrc.eld a number
of times it seems to be working ok.

On the other hand I have a feeling that gnus assumes implicitly in a
number places that the primary selection method is nntp.  Indeed when
when I tried to remove bogus newsgroups (`b' in *Group*) I found that
all my nnml groups were zombied from their topics, all the old zombied
newsgroups were no longer listed in ".newsrc.eld".

--
Jens-Ulrik Holger Petersen  <http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~petersen/>
Research Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Kyoto University

* Re: primary selection method: nnmail?
@ 1998-09-23 20:10 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-23 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens-Ulrik Petersen <petersen@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp> writes:

> On the other hand I have a feeling that gnus assumes implicitly in a
> number places that the primary selection method is nntp.

I don't think Gnus assumes that...

> Indeed when when I tried to remove bogus newsgroups (`b' in *Group*)
> I found that all my nnml groups were zombied from their topics, all
> the old zombied newsgroups were no longer listed in ".newsrc.eld".

I've looked over the code to the function
(`gnus-check-bogus-newsgroups'), and it seems to remove a group if it
is not foreign and it is not known.  So it looks OK to me, and I can't
explain this.  Could you try to debug?

* Re: primary selection method: nnmail?
@ 1998-09-29  8:28   ` Jens-Ulrik Petersen
From: Jens-Ulrik Petersen @ 1998-09-29  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

    LMI> Jens-Ulrik Petersen <petersen@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp> writes:

    >> Indeed when when I tried to remove bogus newsgroups (`b' in
    >> *Group*) I found that all my nnml groups were zombied from
    >> their topics,

I can't reproduce this now with my stable .newsrc files.  Sorry, it
was probably just some teething problem from my migration from the old
newsserver by hand.

    >> [and] all the zombied newsgroups were no longer
    >> listed in ".newsrc.eld".

This is still true, but I don't care personally too much.  Would you
like me to investigate this more?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-29 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: petersen

Jens-Ulrik Petersen <petersen@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp> writes:

>     >> [and] all the zombied newsgroups were no longer
>     >> listed in ".newsrc.eld".
>
> This is still true, but I don't care personally too much.  Would you
> like me to investigate this more?

Well, it would be interesting to see why the zombies are removed.