* nnmaildir in the manual - partly
@ 2002-01-18 23:11 Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-01-18 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just checked in some additions to the manual for nnmaildir.  Most
of the information from my HTML page "Comparing nnmaildir to other
Gnus backends" is now in the "Comparing Mail Back Ends" node.  I
really don't know texinfo, so if anyone wants to improve the markup,
feel free.  Some of the material I put there might be better off in
nnmaildir's own node (which will contain most of the information from
my HTML page "Using nnmaildir").  Or maybe not, since nnmaildir really
is fairly different from other mail backends.  I dunno.  Let's just
say if someone moves it, I won't complain or move it back.

paul

* Re: nnmaildir in the manual - partly
@ 2002-01-18 23:41 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-01-18 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> I've just checked in some additions to the manual for nnmaildir.

Cool.  Why doesn't it use nnoo, btw?

* Re: nnmaildir in the manual - partly
@ 2002-01-20  8:16   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-01-20  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:
> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>> I've just checked in some additions to the manual for nnmaildir.
>
> Cool.  Why doesn't it use nnoo, btw?

There are some things about nnoo that I don't like.  The "nnchoke-"
prefix on server parameters seems pretty useless.  Conflating server
parameters with global variables is not a good thing.  nnmaildir isn't
derived from nnmail nor from any other backend, so using nnoo wouldn't
have bought much.  Also, nnoo hides some of the details about the
Gnus<->backend interface; this can be convenient, but since I was
trying to learn all those details, it wasn't doing me any good.

paul