* Check *-use-long-file-names for sanity
@ 2001-05-09 20:02 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-05-09 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

IMVHO, when Gnus accesses a file or directory whose name was
influenced somehow by gnus-use-long-file-name or
nnmail-use-long-file-names (or other similar variables -- are there
any?), then Gnus should look at the directory on disk to see if its
contents agree with the variable setting.

At the least it should warn the user.  Maybe it should also
automatically convert the dir contents.

What do you think?

kai
--
The passive voice should never be used.

* Re: Check *-use-long-file-names for sanity
@ 2001-12-30 10:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-30 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> IMVHO, when Gnus accesses a file or directory whose name was
> influenced somehow by gnus-use-long-file-name or
> nnmail-use-long-file-names (or other similar variables -- are there
> any?), then Gnus should look at the directory on disk to see if its
> contents agree with the variable setting.

Finding the right heuristics for determining this might not be
trivial, though.

* Re: Check *-use-long-file-names for sanity
@ 2002-01-02 11:41   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-02 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> IMVHO, when Gnus accesses a file or directory whose name was
>> influenced somehow by gnus-use-long-file-name or
>> nnmail-use-long-file-names (or other similar variables -- are there
>> any?), then Gnus should look at the directory on disk to see if its
>> contents agree with the variable setting.
>
> Finding the right heuristics for determining this might not be
> trivial, though.

There is a simple and safe check, I think: whenever you compute the
dir name for a group, compute the `other' dir name too, and barf if
the `other' dir name exists.

So if gnus-use-long-file-name is t, then you barf if the dir name
corresponding to gnus-use-long-file-name being nil exists.

That might not check often enough, but it is better than no check at
all, and I think it should always be a safe check.

Opinions?

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: Check *-use-long-file-names for sanity
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-02 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There is a simple and safe check, I think: whenever you compute the
> dir name for a group, compute the `other' dir name too, and barf if
> the `other' dir name exists.

That's a possibility.

> So if gnus-use-long-file-name is t, then you barf if the dir name
> corresponding to gnus-use-long-file-name being nil exists.

I think we'll see a whole lot of barfage from people who have tried
one way, and then switched to the other way, and not bothered to clean
stuff up...

* Re: Check *-use-long-file-names for sanity
@ 2002-01-02 12:30       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-02 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think we'll see a whole lot of barfage from people who have tried
> one way, and then switched to the other way, and not bothered to clean
> stuff up...

That's right.  They should clean up, then.

Maybe just warn instead of barf?

kai

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-02 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I think we'll see a whole lot of barfage from people who have tried
>> one way, and then switched to the other way, and not bothered to clean
>> stuff up...
>
> That's right.  They should clean up, then.
>
> Maybe just warn instead of barf?

That sounds like a reasonable compromise.  :-)

If somebody were to write a patch that did that, it would be nice.