* article mark for having a draft in progress?
@ 2001-05-06 14:58 Colin Walters
From: Colin Walters @ 2001-05-06 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Often, I will start to write a response to an article, but I'll
realize that I need to add more later, so I will save it as a draft,
and just tick the article so I need to respond to it.  But then, later
when I am browsing the group, I'll forget that I have a half-finished
draft of a response to that article.

So, is there a way to display a mark in the summary line if there is a
draft article which has an "X-Draft-From" header pointing to this
article?

Looking at the docstring of `gnus-summary-line-format', it doesn't
seem that there's any predefined functionality for doing this...I
would have to write my own formatting function, yes?  But wouldn't it
be slow to trawl through the drafts group and look at headers for
display of every article in the summary buffer?  Hm, I guess I could
cache the results...

Or is there a better way to do this?

* Re: article mark for having a draft in progress?
@ 2001-12-30 21:55 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-30 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Walters <walters@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> Often, I will start to write a response to an article, but I'll
> realize that I need to add more later, so I will save it as a draft,
> and just tick the article so I need to respond to it.  But then, later
> when I am browsing the group, I'll forget that I have a half-finished
> draft of a response to that article.
>
> So, is there a way to display a mark in the summary line if there is a
> draft article which has an "X-Draft-From" header pointing to this
> article?
>
> Looking at the docstring of `gnus-summary-line-format', it doesn't
> seem that there's any predefined functionality for doing this...I
> would have to write my own formatting function, yes?  But wouldn't it
> be slow to trawl through the drafts group and look at headers for
> display of every article in the summary buffer?  Hm, I guess I could
> cache the results...

Have a look at the code that sets the "replied" mark when sending
messages.  It works even when sending from the drafts buffer.

So you could set a new mark -- "answering" -- on the article when you
press `r' and the like, and then remove this mark when you actually
send the message.

However, I don't think this would work very well in general usage.
There are too many ways of not sending a message that you've started
-- you can, for instance, just kill the message buffer, and then the
"answering" mark will linger forever, and not go away.

Although you could add code that verifies that the "answering" mark
points to a corresponding message in the drafts group upon group
entry, I guess.