* Fcc'd stuff into r/w Gnus group?
@ 2000-03-05 12:01 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-05 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michael Hühne

A friend of mine wants to use Fcc to store all outgoing messages into
a file.  This is done in addition to Gcc'ing the message into the
appropriate group.

But how to read the file again?  With `G f', you get a read-only
group.  Is there any way of getting a writable group with the contents
of that file?  I think it is not a good idea to create an nnfolder
group for this, is it?

One possibility would be to set up a `directory' mail source for
the (renamed) OUTmail.box and OUTnews.box files, I think.  Do you
think that would work?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Fcc'd stuff into r/w Gnus group?
@ 2000-03-06 15:25 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2000-03-06 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> One possibility would be to set up a `directory' mail source for
> the (renamed) OUTmail.box and OUTnews.box files, I think.  Do you
> think that would work?

This is, in fact exactly what I do when I use message-mode from
outside of gnus.  Since I don't need it very often, I'm too lazy to
find/install/test the neat bits that have been posted that call
gnus-group-mail from other packages.  So when I end up in message-mode
as a result of filing a bug report or clicking on a mailto url in w3,
I have the following put in an FCC header that writes to a spool file
in my incoming directory mail source (I use procmail for other
incoming mail processing).

(add-hook 'message-header-setup-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (let ((isgcc (save-excursion
			   (goto-char (point-min))
			   (re-search-forward "^Gcc:" nil t))))
	      (if (not isgcc)
		  (message-add-header
		   "Fcc: /afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/incoming/inbox.spool")))))
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: Fcc'd stuff into r/w Gnus group?
@ 2000-03-06 22:48   ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2000-03-06 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

    David> This is, in fact exactly what I do when I use message-mode
    David> from outside of gnus.  Since I don't need it very often,
    David> I'm too lazy to find/install/test the neat bits that have
    David> been posted that call gnus-group-mail from other packages.

What "neat bits" have been posted to do this? I would really like to
be able to do this...

    David> So when I end up in message-mode as a result of filing a
    David> bug report or clicking on a mailto url in w3, I have the
    David> following put in an FCC header that writes to a spool file
    David> in my incoming directory mail source (I use procmail for
    David> other incoming mail processing).

--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>

* Re: Fcc'd stuff into r/w Gnus group?
@ 2000-03-06 23:16     ` Kevin Falcone
From: Kevin Falcone @ 2000-03-06 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

  David> This is, in fact exactly what I do when I use message-mode
  David> from outside of gnus.  Since I don't need it very often,
  David> I'm too lazy to find/install/test the neat bits that have
  David> been posted that call gnus-group-mail from other packages.

  BM> What "neat bits" have been posted to do this? I would really like to
  BM> be able to do this...

I have the following in my .emacs, which seem to do what you
requested.  Unfortunately, I don't know who deserves credit for these.

;;make gnus the only mail mode
(require 'message)
(require 'gnus-msg)

(define-mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent
  'gnus-mail 'message-send-and-exit
  'message-kill-buffer 'message-send-hook)

(defun gnus-mail (&rest args)
  "Start editing a mail message to be sent gnus style.
  Use message mode as the underlying agent."
    (unless (and (fboundp 'gnus-alive-p) (gnus-alive-p))
      (gnus-no-server)
      (gnus-group-suspend))
    (gnus-setup-message 'message (apply 'message-mail args)))

(setq mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent)

-kevin

--
Kevin Falcone <kevinfal@seas.upenn.edu>

"The Windows Perl motto: It's just as well there's more than one
way to do it because most of them don't work." -- Simon Cozens