* Really confused about using gnus-0.80 & procmail
@ 1999-03-19 18:31 Marc Nozell
From: Marc Nozell @ 1999-03-19 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: marc

I've just tried to upgrade from an oldish pgnus version to pgnus-0.80
with the new fancy mail spool stuff.

My mail is split by procmail into files like Mail.Inbox.spool,
ML.ROOTS-L.spool, etc all in my ~/procmail-spool/ directory.  My old configuration doesn't work anymore.

I've read through the archives, but there doesn't seem to be a full,
idiot-proof example.

Please can you lend me a clue?

Thanks.

-marc
--
Marc Nozell <marc@nozell.com>	http://www.nozell.com/

* Re: Really confused about using gnus-0.80 & procmail
@ 1999-03-19 19:22 ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 1999-03-19 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Marc> I've just tried to upgrade from an oldish pgnus version to pgnus-0.80
Marc> with the new fancy mail spool stuff.

Marc> My mail is split by procmail into files like Mail.Inbox.spool,
Marc> ML.ROOTS-L.spool, etc all in my ~/procmail-spool/ directory.  My old configuration doesn't work anymore.

Marc> I've read through the archives, but there doesn't seem to be a full,
Marc> idiot-proof example.

Marc> Please can you lend me a clue?

and spread the clue around.  All I recall is that some recent
pterrygnus broke the thing I'm quoted as saying in the FAQ.  And I
don't know what I'll have to do if I go from Q to P now.

Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@teleport.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

* Re: Really confused about using gnus-0.80 & procmail
@ 1999-03-19 20:08   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-03-19 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just reset nnmail-spool-file as such:

(setq nnmail-spool-file `((directory :path
                                      ,(expand-file-name "~/.Mail/incoming"))
			  (file :path "/usr/spool/mail/dsg")))

And it all seems to work fine, if a bit slower since it now searches
the directory for a spool file for *all* my nnml groups.  I've
considered setting up a second nnml server strictly for those groups
that actually receive mail, but thus far I've been too lazy.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: Really confused about using gnus-0.80 & procmail
@ 1999-03-19 20:09   ` Chris Halverson
From: Chris Halverson @ 1999-03-19 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Marc Nozell, ding

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> and spread the clue around.  All I recall is that some recent
> pterrygnus broke the thing I'm quoted as saying in the FAQ.  And I
> don't know what I'll have to do if I go from Q to P now.

I used that advice to setup my Gnus eons ago :)

Note that I haven't done this yet (I'm a little nervous about
upgrading past my Pgnus 0.66 :), but Scott Hoffmann posted his setup
back in Feb. He has:

;; gnus customizations
(setq gnus-procmail-suffix ".spool"
      gnus-nntp-server nil;; required to use gnus-select-method
      gnus-select-method (list 'nntp "news.mindspring.com")
      gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
      gnus-uncacheable-groups "^nnml"
      )

;; this stuff should make us work with procmail nicely
(setq nnml-directory "/home/shofmann/Mail/spool"
      nnml-nov-is-evil t
      )

(setq nnmail-use-procmail t
      nnmail-spool-file '((directory :path "/home/shofmann/Mail/spool"
				     :suffix ".spool"))
      )

Modify to suit obviously.

Hope that helps, let me know so I can fearlessly upgrade :)

Chris

--
Chris D. Halverson                         Complete Internet Solutions
PGP mail accepted, finger for public key   http://www.CompleteIS.com/~cdh/

* Re: Really confused about using gnus-0.80 & procmail
@ 1999-03-19 20:13 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 1999-03-19 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Marc Nozell <marc@nozell.com> writes:

> I've just tried to upgrade from an oldish pgnus version to pgnus-0.80
> with the new fancy mail spool stuff.

Perhaps this one will help you:

| > Subject: Q4.8 Procmail and Gnus
| >
| >    Randal Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com> writes:
| >    With procmail, you cannot write directly into the nnml directories.
| >    You must create spool files that will be merged into the nnml
| >    directories at times of Gnus' choosing. Asynch delivery just isn't in
| >    the cards.
| >
| >    I just posted my setup a week ago. Here it is one more time:
| > (setq
| >  gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
| >  nnmail-use-procmail t
| >  nnmail-spool-file 'procmail            ; same as nnmail-use-procmail :-)
| >  nnmail-procmail-directory "~/.incoming/"
| >  nnmail-delete-incoming t
| > )
|
| This doesn't work with Pterodactyl Gnus. You have to use something
| like this instead:
|
| (setq
|  gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
|  nnmail-spool-file '((directory :path "~/.incoming/"
|                                 :suffix ".spool")))

(The FAQ won't get updated to reflect changes in alpha code, which is
quite reasonable.)

* Re: Really confused about using gnus-0.80 & procmail
@ 1999-03-29 12:05     ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 1999-03-29 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

David> And it all seems to work fine, if a bit slower since it now searches
David> the directory for a spool file for *all* my nnml groups.  I've
David> considered setting up a second nnml server strictly for those groups
David> that actually receive mail, but thus far I've been too lazy.

Urgh.  Ugh.  I have hundreds of nnml: groups.  I'm not sure I *want*
it to probe for each one of those groups!  Is this ever going to work
the other way again, or am I now stuck on qgnus for the rest of my
life, or will I have to live with ree-a-l-l-y s-l-l-o-w new mail?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-02 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> Urgh.  Ugh.  I have hundreds of nnml: groups.  I'm not sure I *want*
> it to probe for each one of those groups!  Is this ever going to work
> the other way again, or am I now stuck on qgnus for the rest of my
> life, or will I have to live with ree-a-l-l-y s-l-l-o-w new mail?

Pgnus did that for a while, but it should be back to the old behavior
by now, I think.