* Automatically batch-decoding of all binaries in all groups.
@ 1998-07-01  4:29 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1998-07-01  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the past, I hack^H^H^H^Hcreated a rather convoluted system for
using gnus to automatically download and decode (in batch mode) all
binaries in a selected set of newsgroups.  There have been a number of
upgrades of gnus since then, and my hacks (some of which being manual
rewrites of certain gnus internal functions) don't work any more.

I would like to re-create my program, but this time around I'd like to
avoid a re-hacking spree if at all possible.  Therefore, I'd like to
know if anyone knows of a more straightforward way to do what I want
to do using standard features of gnus (5.6.20 or beyond).  Perhaps
there's some sort of batch decode facility that I missed in the
documentation ... ???

Here is more detail of what I'm trying to accomplish:

(1) I use `slrnpull' to create a news spool consisting only of
    certain binary-laden newsgroups.  I use that program's
    scoring facility to limit the download solely to encoded
    binaries that meet my personal criteria.  I periodically
    invoke all this via a cron job to keep this spool up to date.
    This part is already finished, and it works fine.

(2) I set up gnus using nnspool and pointing to this news spool.
    Therefore, the only newsgroups that gnus sees are those
    containing the encoded binaries that `slrnpull' has downloaded.
    This also is already done.

(3) This is the part I'm looking for suggestions on:  I want to
    run something in batch mode that loops through all newsgroups,
    and within each newsgroup loops through all the articles
    and automatically decodes them and stores all the results in
    a directory I have previously specfied.  Multi-part binary
    articles need to be handled correctly.  As this is being done,
    all the articles are marked as "read".  Once invoked, his needs
    to run to completion totally without any manual intervention.

I'm not looking for someone to write this for me ... only to point me
to some appropriate functions that might be appropriate, and possibly
make suggestions or warn me about pitfalls that I might encounter.

I thank you all in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Automatically batch-decoding of all binaries in all groups.
@ 1998-07-01 11:59 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-07-01 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> (3) This is the part I'm looking for suggestions on:  I want to
>     run something in batch mode that loops through all newsgroups,
>     and within each newsgroup loops through all the articles
>     and automatically decodes them and stores all the results in
>     a directory I have previously specfied.  Multi-part binary
>     articles need to be handled correctly.  As this is being done,
>     all the articles are marked as "read".  Once invoked, his needs
>     to run to completion totally without any manual intervention.

`(gnus-group-read-group nil t group)' will fetch GROUP, and then you
can run `gnus-uu-mark-all' and
`(gnus-uu-decode-uu-and-save nil "~/save-directory/")' and
`gnus-summary-exit'.

And that should basically be it.  With some checks that you land in
the right buffer, and so on.