* gnus in one window...
@ 2002-12-02 21:54 Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2002-12-02 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to run Gnus in one window only...  Until now, I have
always used a separate Gnus frame, but now I decided to try for myself
wether it is possible and wether I would like it or not.

So I started out with this:

(setq gnus-use-full-window nil)
(gnus-add-configuration '(article (article 1.0 point)))
(gnus-add-configuration '(summary (summary 1.0 point)))
(gnus-add-configuration '(group (group 1.0 point)))
(gnus-add-configuration '(message (message 1.0 point)))
(gnus-add-configuration '(reply (message 1.0 point)))
(gnus-add-configuration '(reply-yank (message 1.0 point)))
(gnus-add-configuration '(forward (message 1.0 point)))
(gnus-add-configuration '(mail-bounce (message 1.0 point)))

One point where this confuses Gnus is when reading an article opens
another extra window -- such as when BBDB recognizes the author.  To
test, split windows, switch one of them to the Group buffer.  Enter a
group.  In the summary, select a posting by an author stored in the
BBDB.  The Gnus window is now split again, with one of the windows
showing the BBDB.  Now use s to return to the summary.  The BBDB
window remains visible.  Now select a posting by an author not in the
BBDB.  The article buffer will now cover the entire frame.

Similar things happen when a BBDB pops up when I view an article, then
use s to move to the summary, and q to return to the group buffer --
the window configuration is messed up with the group window occuping
all the space that is not used by the BBDB window.

Strange.

Has anybody else played around with this?  Any ideas of where to start
looking?  Right now I feel like preventing the BBDB buffer from ever
popping up.  Perhaps that helps...  :)

Alex.

* Re: gnus in one window...
@ 2002-12-28 18:40 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-28 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Schroeder <alex@emacswiki.org> writes:

> Has anybody else played around with this?  Any ideas of where to start
> looking?  Right now I feel like preventing the BBDB buffer from ever
> popping up.  Perhaps that helps...  :)

Probably.  :-)

I think the most likely place to start looking would be in the bbdb
window configuration code.