* Saving binary attachments no work under WinNT
@ 1998-09-14 23:22 Matt Armstrong
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1998-09-14 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running rgnus-0.31 under Emacs 23.1 under WinNT.

I get a MS Word document delivered to me as a MIME attachment, base64
encoded.

I cursor down to the document and hit <RET> over the document.  An
*mm* buffer pops up with a bunch of binary garbage, I save it.  It
isn't a valid MS Word document.

The problem here is that the *mm* buffer's coding system is
undecided-dos (WinNT, remember).  If I manually change the coding
system in *mm* to "no-conversion," it saves fine.

Is this a bug, or do I have to configure pgnus so application/msword
is treated as a binary format?

Also, if I mouse-2 click on the attachment, I get prompted for a
filename just as if I hit <ret>.  But, the Word doc gets saved in
base64 -- not decoded.  Is this the expected behavior?  How can I make
it decode before saving?

--
matta

* Re: Saving binary attachments no work under WinNT
@ 1998-09-15 13:38 ` Ed
       [not found] ` <199809151341.GAA26600@ns.geoworks.com>
From: Ed @ 1998-09-15 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Howdy!

Hey can you tell me how to get rgnus-0.31 because I can't get gnus working on my win95 machine.

Thaksn!

Ed

@ 1998-09-15 18:02   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1998-09-15 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ed <ejh@idcomm.com> writes:

> Howdy!
>
> Hey can you tell me how to get rgnus-0.31 because I can't get gnus
> working on my win95 machine.
>
> Thaksn!
>
> Ed

Win95 != WinNT, so I'm not sure if my setup will work for you.

Make sure you're running Win32 Emacs 20.3.1
(http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html)

Download pgnus (http://www.gnus.org/pgnus.tar.gz).

Then I run a cygwin32 bash shell to get into an environment something
like Unix (http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/).

Untar rgnus (tar xzf rgnus.tar.gz), then build it according to the
instructions (./configure; make).  I don't bother installing it with
"make install."

Then add lines like this to your .emacs:

;; pgnus
(let ((prefix "~/Emacs/pgnus-0.31"))
  (add-to-list 'load-path (concat prefix "/lisp"))
  (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list (concat prefix "/texi")))

Next time you run emacs, M-x gnus should run rgnus.

Hope this helps.

--

@ 1998-09-16  9:20 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-16  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matta@geoworks.com> writes:

> The problem here is that the *mm* buffer's coding system is
> undecided-dos (WinNT, remember).  If I manually change the coding
> system in *mm* to "no-conversion," it saves fine.
>
> Is this a bug, or do I have to configure pgnus so application/msword
> is treated as a binary format?

No, all the binary things should be no-conversion.  Fix in Pterodactyl
Gnus v0.32.