* Problem Viewing MIME Part
@ 2003-05-09 17:32 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-05-09 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've upgraded from ooGnus to Gnus 5.10.1.  If I view a posting with a
buttonized text/html mime part, the middle mouse button used to view it.
Since upgrading, the middle mouse button prompts me to save the part.  What
changed?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  www.principiapartners.com

* Re: Problem Viewing MIME Part
@ 2003-05-09 17:54 ` Michael R. Wolf
From: Michael R. Wolf @ 2003-05-09 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> I've upgraded from ooGnus to Gnus 5.10.1. If I view a posting with a
> buttonized text/html mime part, the middle mouse button used to view
> it. Since upgrading, the middle mouse button prompts me to save the
> part. What changed?

Indeed! You are experiencing the behavior that I always had. When you
get your answer, I may get mine. I'd really like to view it
automagically, not have to save it, then view it from outside.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!

* Re: Problem Viewing MIME Part
@ 2003-05-15 15:24 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-05-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> I've upgraded from ooGnus to Gnus 5.10.1.  If I view a posting with a
> buttonized text/html mime part, the middle mouse button used to view it.
> Since upgrading, the middle mouse button prompts me to save the part.  What
> changed?

What do the following expressions return?

(mm-inlined-p '(nil ("text/html") nil nil nil nil nil nil))

(mm-inlinable-p '(nil ("text/html") nil nil nil nil nil nil))

* Re: Problem Viewing MIME Part
@ 2003-05-16  4:53   ` Michael R. Wolf
From: Michael R. Wolf @ 2003-05-16  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> From: Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com>
> Subject: Re: Problem Viewing MIME Part
> Newsgroups: gnus.ding
> Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 17:24:09 +0200
>
> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
>
>> I've upgraded from ooGnus to Gnus 5.10.1.  If I view a posting with a
>> buttonized text/html mime part, the middle mouse button used to view it.
>> Since upgrading, the middle mouse button prompts me to save the part.  What
>> changed?

I've got the same problem.  Here's my answers.

> What do the following expressions return?
>
> (mm-inlined-p '(nil ("text/html") nil nil nil nil nil nil))

> (mm-inlinable-p '(nil ("text/html") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
lynx

What does this mean?

--

@ 2003-05-17 20:54     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-05-17 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael R. Wolf <MichaelRunningWolf@att.net> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> What do the following expressions return?
>>
>> (mm-inlined-p '(nil ("text/html") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
>
>> (mm-inlinable-p '(nil ("text/html") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
> lynx
>
> What does this mean?

It means that Gnus thinks that it _can_ inline HTML (mm-inlinable-p),
and that you wan't it inlined (mm-inlined-p).

Have you customized any Gnus settings related to HTML display?

* Re: Problem Viewing MIME Part
@ 2003-05-20  4:13       ` Michael R. Wolf
From: Michael R. Wolf @ 2003-05-20  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Michael R. Wolf <MichaelRunningWolf@att.net> writes:
>
>> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>>
>>> What do the following expressions return?
>>>
>>> (mm-inlined-p '(nil ("text/html") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
>>
>>> (mm-inlinable-p '(nil ("text/html") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
>> lynx
>>
>> What does this mean?
>
> It means that Gnus thinks that it _can_ inline HTML (mm-inlinable-p),
> and that you wan't it inlined (mm-inlined-p).
>
> Have you customized any Gnus settings related to HTML display?

Emperically, the answer would appear to be yes, but I don't know where
I could have done such a modification. Where should I look?

A search for "mm-" or "html" yeilds nothing in ~/.gnus or ~/.emacs.

Here's  an attempt at a ~/.mailcap, though the behavior is the same
with and without this file.  I had gotten various "help" over the
months, but hadn't sucseeded in getting any of it to work.

/
| application/ms-word; start %s
| application/* start "" %s
\

Where else could I be changing the mappings?

For some reason, I'm able to press "CR" on *some* buttons,
specifically, I got a PDF file as a link that looked like this, only
emboldened like a button:

[2. application/pdf; Schebel, p1.pdf]...

Pressing CR on the button, produced this message in the minibuffer,
but does not display the file in a viewer.

Displaying gv -safer "c:/DOCUME~1/toshiba/LOCALS~1/Temp/emm.1360eqi/Schebel, p1.pdf"...

It seems to extract the file into a location that I can open the file
from using this piece of code by typing X in a dired buffer.

/
| ;;; From: David Vanderschel <DvdS@Austin.RR.com>
| ;;; Subject: Re: [h-e-w] mailcap file and filename/type associations for Windows 95
| ;;; To: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org
| ;;; Date: 05 Jan 2002 17:47:47 -0600
| ;;; dired stuff to open files a la Windows from Howard Melman
| (defun dired-execute-file (&optional arg)
|   (interactive "P")
|   (mapcar #'(lambda (file)
| 	      (w32-shell-execute "open" (convert-standard-filename file)))
|           (dired-get-marked-files nil arg)))
| ;;;...
| (defun hrm-dired-mode-hook ()
|   "Hook run when entering dired-mode."
|     (define-key dired-mode-map "X" 'dired-execute-file)
|     (define-key dired-mode-map [M-down-mouse-1] 'dired-mouse-mark-file))
|
| (global-set-key [?\C-x mouse-2] 'dired-mouse-execute-file)
| (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'hrm-dired-mode-hook)
\

So... WinDOS 2000 can do the right thing ifff I could get gnus via
gnuemacs to send everything to "open".

The corresponding information for application/pdf for the function
calls you reqeusted is below.

(mm-inlined-p '(nil ("application/pdf") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
nil

(mm-inlinable-p '(nil ("application/pdf") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  mm-readable-p((nil ("application/pdf") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
  mm-inlinable-p((nil ("application/pdf") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
  eval((mm-inlinable-p (quote (nil ... nil nil nil nil nil nil))))
  eval-last-sexp-1(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
* call-interactively(eval-last-sexp)

I really do appreciate your help. This un-feature has almost had me
stop using gnus on numerous occasions. My eyes are tiring of parsing
HTML, or doing heroics to read PDF MIME attachments or JPEG pictures
my dad sends of our family.

Thanks,
Michael Wolf

P.S. To be explicit, here's what I'm using on a Windows 2000 laptop:

--

@ 2003-05-21  3:19         ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-05-21  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael R. Wolf <MichaelRunningWolf@att.net> writes:

> /
> | application/ms-word; start %s
> | application/* start "" %s
> \

The last entry doesn't look right.  It should probably be:

   application/*; start %s

But I wouldn't recommend it.  It opens all sorts of security problems
-- you are in effect telling Gnus to behave nearly as insecurely as
Outlook Express with regard to attachments.

In general, you should only include specific entries in .mailcap, and
only for viewers that you know are safe.

> [2. application/pdf; Schebel, p1.pdf]...
>
> Pressing CR on the button, produced this message in the minibuffer,
> but does not display the file in a viewer.
>
> Displaying gv -safer "c:/DOCUME~1/toshiba/LOCALS~1/Temp/emm.1360eqi/Schebel, p1.pdf"...

It means that Gnus is trying to display it with Ghostscript.  You want
a viewer installed on you box instead, probably Acrobat Reader.  You
do this by adding something like this to your .mailcap:

   application/pdf; C:/programs/some/where/acroread.exe %s

Back to HTML -- how do you want to view it?  In an external browser?
Inside Gnus rendered with w3, lynx, links, w3m or html2text?

The last option is the least sophisticated (html2text is a pretty
simple converter), but it should work out-of-the-box because
everything needed is included with Gnus.  You can try it with:

    (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'html2text)