* Default arg for `T m'?
@ 2001-10-10 14:42 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-10 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

After `T m foo', I can do `T m M-p RET' to repeat it.  WIBNI `T m RET'
was sufficient?

kai
--
Linux provides a nice `poweroff' command, but where is `poweron'?

* Re: Default arg for `T m'?
@ 2001-12-30  0:41 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-30  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> After `T m foo', I can do `T m M-p RET' to repeat it.  WIBNI `T m RET'
> was sufficient?

I thought the new default default behavior in Emacs was to not provide
default defaults in these situations?

* Re: Default arg for `T m'?
@ 2002-01-02 11:26   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-02 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> After `T m foo', I can do `T m M-p RET' to repeat it.  WIBNI `T m RET'
>> was sufficient?
>
> I thought the new default default behavior in Emacs was to not provide
> default defaults in these situations?

I thought the new default default behavior was to allow the user to
hit RET to accept the default, but to _edit_ the string, M-n is
necessary.

So we don't use the INITIAL-INPUT argument of completing-read;
instead, we use the DEF argument and also put the default in the
history.  (Not sure how it works to put stuff in the history in such
a way that M-n retrieves it.)

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: Default arg for `T m'?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-19 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So we don't use the INITIAL-INPUT argument of completing-read;
> instead, we use the DEF argument and also put the default in the
> history.

Right.  I've now modified `T m' to use the function below.  I think
the "normal" `completing-read' is rather to horrible to work with,
since you have to fiddle so much to get it to work in a sensible way.
But I may have overlooked something.

(defun gnus-completing-read (prompt table &optional predicate require-match
				    history inherit-input-method)
  (when (and history
	     (not (boundp history)))
    (set history nil))
  (completing-read
   (if (symbol-value history)
       (concat prompt " (" (car (symbol-value history)) "): ")
     (concat prompt ": "))
   table
   predicate
   require-match
   nil
   history
   (car (symbol-value history))
   inherit-input-method))

And used thusly:

(gnus-completing-read "Move to topic" gnus-topic-alist
                      nil t 'gnus-topic-history)

Any comments?  And anybody volunteering to go through the Gnus sources
and converting all calls to `completing-read' to
`gnus-completing-read' to get Emacs-compliant default prompt value
behavior?