* gnus socks
@ 1998-04-08 23:12 Thomas Harris
From: Thomas Harris @ 1998-04-08 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anybody know how to gnus through a socks proxy?

-tk
.

* Re: gnus socks
@ 1998-04-11  4:52 ` Istvan Marko
From: Istvan Marko @ 1998-04-11  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Harris <tharris@ts-i.com> writes:

> Anybody know how to gnus through a socks proxy?

w3 comes with socks.el, you should be able to use it with gnus (never
tried it myself though). Get the latest beta (the stable versions are
very old and might not contain socks.el)

/ftp.cs.indiana.edu:/pub/elisp/w3/.betas

--
	Istvan

* Re: gnus socks
@ 1998-04-11 10:00 ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
       [not found]   ` <m3lnsvrnbp.fsf@sparky.gnus.org>
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-04-11 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think they would be a good idea.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen                                           "Woo hoo!?"

* Re: gnus socks
@ 1998-04-11 18:32   ` William M. Perry
       [not found]   ` <m3lnsvrnbp.fsf@sparky.gnus.org>
From: William M. Perry @ 1998-04-11 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Balker Rasmussen <lbr@image.dk> writes:

> I think they would be a good idea.

  They would would have to be nice and light though - its 75 degrees here
already. :)

-Bill P.

* Re: gnus socks
@ 1998-04-11 18:33   ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1998-04-11 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Istvan Marko <imarko@pacificnet.net> writes:

> Thomas Harris <tharris@ts-i.com> writes:
>
> > Anybody know how to gnus through a socks proxy?
>
> w3 comes with socks.el, you should be able to use it with gnus (never
> tried it myself though). Get the latest beta (the stable versions are
> very old and might not contain socks.el)
>
> /ftp.cs.indiana.edu:/pub/elisp/w3/.betas

  I use GNUS through socks like this all the time - that's the main reason
I wrote socks.el to begin with. :)

  Note that socks.el requires a SOCKS v5 gateway, since v4 only supports
passing IP addresses, not hostnames, and I didn't want to bother spawning
nslookup & munging the output.  It would be doable though, if anyone feels
its a necessity.  Would only take a few hours of twiddling.

  It also currently only supports 'null' and 'username/password'
authentication methods.  I'm probably going to implement chap and cram
sometime this month when I'm back in seattle.

-Bill P.

* Re: gnus socks
       [not found]   ` <m3lnsvrnbp.fsf@sparky.gnus.org>
@ 1998-04-26 15:56     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-04-26 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Balker Rasmussen <lbr@image.dk> writes:

  > I think they would be a good idea.

  > Yes; black socks with a tiny Gnus logo on the outer sides of the
  > ankles.  Thin ones.

Are you sure thin logos are a good idea?

:-)

kai
--
You ate somebody? -- Just a leg. -- That's terrible! -- Not with mustard.
(Terry Pratchett: Interesting Times)

* Re: gnus socks
@ 1998-04-27  9:17       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-27  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> > Yes; black socks with a tiny Gnus logo on the outer sides of the
> > ankles.  Thin ones.
>
> Are you sure thin logos are a good idea?

Thin Gnus logos are awfully slimming on the ankles.  All the fashion
magz say so.