* Remove limits without updating summary buffer?
@ 2003-03-26 14:15 Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-03-26 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I keep all messages in my incoming group. I use the agent to
keep a local copy. I expire articles I do not want to see
any more (but they are still available with through the
agent). Expired messages are not shown by default in my
incoming group.

When I want to find an old article I do this:

1. `C-u / w' to show all articles (to remove the limit that
   hides expired messages)
2. `/ s the_subject' or something else to limit the summary
   buffer to messages I am really interested in.

Is there a way to stop gnus from updating the summary buffer
after step 1? It makes the process of finding old messages
slower than it needs to be.

Or should I use another method altogether?

Niklas

* Re: Remove limits without updating summary buffer?
@ 2003-03-30  2:45 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-03-30  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> 1. `C-u / w' to show all articles (to remove the limit that
>    hides expired messages)
> 2. `/ s the_subject' or something else to limit the summary
>    buffer to messages I am really interested in.
>
> Is there a way to stop gnus from updating the summary buffer
> after step 1?

There is no pre-defined functionality in Gnus for doing this.

But I guess you could write a function that alters the current limit
without actually redrawing the summary buffer, but that's not
trivial.  (It's probably not all that difficult, though.)