* Create groups after moving nnml dirs?
@ 2003-01-03 17:46 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-03 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Say I do "tar cfpj x.tbz Mail/foo" on one machine and then unpack it
on another machine.  How do I tell Gnus about the new groups foo.bar
and foo.quux?

And I don't mean manually.  Actually, we're talking about more than
1,000 groups.  It's not fun to type G m for each of those!
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Create groups after moving nnml dirs?
@ 2003-01-03 17:57 ` Derrell.Lipman
From: Derrell.Lipman @ 2003-01-03 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Say I do "tar cfpj x.tbz Mail/foo" on one machine and then unpack it
> on another machine.  How do I tell Gnus about the new groups foo.bar
> and foo.quux?
>
> And I don't mean manually.  Actually, we're talking about more than
> 1,000 groups.  It's not fun to type G m for each of those!

How about something like this:

    M-x shell
    cd foo
    ls -1
    <copy result list to *scratch*>
    C-x b *scratch* RET
    M-<
    C-x (
    C-SPC
    C-E
    M-w
    C-x b *Group* RET
    G w foo.C-Y RET
    C-x b *scratch* RET
    C-a C-n
    C-x )
    C-u 10000 C-x e

Derrell

* Re: Create groups after moving nnml dirs?
@ 2003-01-03 18:17   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-03 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Derrell.Lipman@UnwiredUniverse.com writes:

> How about something like this:

That would work, of course.  Hm.  But I was thinking, maybe `g' on
the server does the trick, or M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-03 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> That would work, of course.  Hm.  But I was thinking, maybe `g' on
> the server does the trick, or M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET.

Yes, both those will do the trick.  :-)