* Re: Forcing the sender address in Posting Styles
       [not found] ` <vafg01t2vpo.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-04-20  4:38   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-04-20  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

that has been posted to gnu.emacs.gnus as well.

>> (defun message-make-fqdn ()
>>   "My  hacked message-id."
>>   "reader.newsguy.com")
>
> You could do
>
>     (defvar hp-fqdn "reader.newsguy.com")
>
>     (defun message-make-fqdn ()
>       "My hacked msg id."
>       hp-fqdn)
>
> Then you can set hp-fqdn as a local variable in some groups.  I think
> you also have to (add-to-list 'hp-fqdn 'gnus-newsgroup-variables),
> but I'm not sure.
>
> Does that work?

An odd thing happened with yours and Those's reply.  Somehow they
never showed up on my usual newsguy server.  Someone else mentioned
Kai's reply on ding so I tried a different server and found them.

Kai, I think I see what your plan is there, after checking out C-h v
gnus-newsgroup-variables
But would I then have to set the other hacked msg id in all others?
Also, it really wasn't clear what variable I would set hp-fqdn to.
I don't see a variable like `message-id' amongst all those starting with
message?

those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net> writes:

>>How can I stick the hack in there too?
>
> at a guess ...
>
> ((gcc-self . t)
>  (posting-style
>   (name "Harry Putnam")
>   (address "reader@dslextreme.com"))
>   ("Message-Id" (function-the-generates-a-dslextreme-id)))

Is this close to what you are suggesting:

((gcc-self . t)
 (posting-style
  (name "Harry Putnam")
  (address "Harry Putnam  <reader@dslextreme.com>"))
 ("Message-Id" (defun message-make-fqdn ()
		 "My  hacked message-id."
		 "reader.dslextreme.com")))

If I put this in the G p buffer and save, the last line gets
converted to:
("Message-Id"
  (defun message-make-fqdn nil "My  hacked message-id."  "reader.jtan.com")))

The other variables get set in an outgoing post but not the message-id.

* Re: Forcing the sender address in Posting Styles
@ 2002-04-20  7:07     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-04-20  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>>     (defvar hp-fqdn "reader.newsguy.com")
>>
>>     (defun message-make-fqdn ()
>>       "My hacked msg id."
>>       hp-fqdn)
>>
>> Then you can set hp-fqdn as a local variable in some groups.  I think
>> you also have to (add-to-list 'hp-fqdn 'gnus-newsgroup-variables),
>> but I'm not sure.
>
> But would I then have to set the other hacked msg id in all others?

I don't think so.  Making a local variable in group parameters makes
the value buffer-local to the *Summary* buffer; adding it to
gnus-newsgroup-variables means the *Summary* buffer-local value will
also be used in *Article* and message buffers created from that
*Summary*, and will also be buffer-local in those buffers.

> Also, it really wasn't clear what variable I would set hp-fqdn to.

Set it to "reader.newsguy.com" in defvar for the default, and then set
it to "reader.dslextreme.com" in the group parameters for the group
where you want to override it.

> those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net> writes:
>> ((gcc-self . t)
>>  (posting-style
>>   (name "Harry Putnam")
>>   (address "reader@dslextreme.com"))
>>   ("Message-Id" (function-the-generates-a-dslextreme-id)))
>
> Is this close to what you are suggesting:
>
> ((gcc-self . t)
>  (posting-style
>   (name "Harry Putnam")
>   (address "Harry Putnam  <reader@dslextreme.com>"))
>  ("Message-Id" (defun message-make-fqdn ()
> 		 "My  hacked message-id."
> 		 "reader.dslextreme.com")))

TWKM was suggesting calling a function in that spot, not defining one.
But I don't think this would work; IIRC, Message-ID gets erased and
regenerated when a message is sent, and group parameters are ignored
at that point.

paul