* position of point in *Summary* buffer after a few commands
@ 2001-10-17  3:57 John H. Palmieri
From: John H. Palmieri @ 2001-10-17  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

One comment and one unreproducible bug:

The comment is, if I'm in the Summary buffer with the mark set, and
if I hit C-w, the articles in the region are marked as read, but would
it also make sense to set the mark at the point?  If I want to mark a
bunch of articles as read, I might set the mark, scroll down a bit,
hit C-w, then repeat.  Theoretically, it might not make any difference
whether the mark is in its original position or gets reset after each
C-w, but it seems faster to mark a smaller number of files, at least
in a large Summary buffer.

The bug is, if I'm in the Summary buffer (of a mail group) and hit
C-u B DEL, some of the time the point ends up in a seemingly random
position between where it started and where it should end up (four
articles later).  This is unreproducible; maybe it happens more when
I'm deleting messages in a deep thread?

--
J. H. Palmieri
Dept of Mathematics, Box 354350    mailto:palmieri@math.washington.edu

* Re: position of point in *Summary* buffer after a few commands
@ 2001-12-30  0:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-30  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

palmieri@math.washington.edu (John H. Palmieri) writes:

> The comment is, if I'm in the Summary buffer with the mark set, and
> if I hit C-w, the articles in the region are marked as read, but would
> it also make sense to set the mark at the point?

If we compare the situation to killing a region of text, `C-w' kills
the region between mark and point; it doesn't kill the character under
point.  So I think the current behavior makes sense.

> The bug is, if I'm in the Summary buffer (of a mail group) and hit
> C-u B DEL, some of the time the point ends up in a seemingly random
> position between where it started and where it should end up (four
> articles later).  This is unreproducible; maybe it happens more when
> I'm deleting messages in a deep thread?

I haven't seen this...