* Seeming gnus-demon-* inconsistency.
@ 2000-05-10 18:04 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-05-10 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using the latest or near-latest CVS version of gnus under XEmacs
21.1.9.

I'm noticing a difference in performance between the following two
scenarios:

Scenario A:

  (setq gnus-demon-timestep 60)
  (gnus-demon-add-handler 'my-demon-function 1 t)

Scenario B:

  (setq gnus-demon-timestep 1)
  (gnus-demon-add-handler 'my-demon-function 60 t)

It seems to me that these two scenarios should produce identical
results: that `my-demon-function' would get invoked after each block
of 60 seconds of idle time.  However, that scenario only seems to take
place in Scenario B.  In Scenario A, often several minutes of idle
time pass before `my-demon-function' is invoked.

Is this a bug, or is there a gap in my understanding about how the
gnus-demon-* system works?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Seeming gnus-demon-* inconsistency.
@ 2000-08-12 19:32 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-08-12 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Scenario A:
>
>   (setq gnus-demon-timestep 60)
>   (gnus-demon-add-handler 'my-demon-function 1 t)
>
> Scenario B:
>
>   (setq gnus-demon-timestep 1)
>   (gnus-demon-add-handler 'my-demon-function 60 t)
>
> It seems to me that these two scenarios should produce identical
> results:

Yup.

> that `my-demon-function' would get invoked after each block of 60
> seconds of idle time.  However, that scenario only seems to take
> place in Scenario B.  In Scenario A, often several minutes of idle
> time pass before `my-demon-function' is invoked.

That's odd.  Scenario A is the default, after all, and I haven't seen
any reports saying that it doesn't work...  (Of course, me not having
seen such a report doesn't mean that it hasn't been submitted.  :-)