* Fixing In-Reply-To problems
@ 1998-01-07 18:48 Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-07 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, I've been getting sick of broken threads due to broken mailers
sending different types of In-Reply-To headers.  I've been
thinking...  Couldn't something be done like:

1 Find In-Reply-To header
2 Search for <blah> on the line
3 Check to see if blah is a valid existing reference
  - Yes: use it
  - No: go back to 2 and continue search.
4 none matched, bail as normal and collect into dummy, or whatever the
  default is set to.

Right now, it is just taking a predefined location for the reference
header, which frequently is wrong due to email addresses, etc,
confusing it.  Can't we compare against known existing message ids
before using it?  Just a thought...

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Fixing In-Reply-To problems
@ 1998-01-07 20:02 ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1998-01-07 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'll suggest a hack-ish alternative...

Use the longest string which looks like a message ID.

I know, it's just a hack to replace the existing hack, but I think
it'll work more often, because I've observed that a message's ID is
usually longer than its sender's email address.

--Paul

* Re: Fixing In-Reply-To problems
@ 1998-01-07 21:03   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-07 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Paul> I know, it's just a hack to replace the existing hack, but I
Paul> think it'll work more often, because I've observed that a
Paul> message's ID is usually longer than its sender's email address.

Well, that is better than the current function most likely.  You're
probably right, they would almost always be longer, but certainly not
all the time...  I'd guess more right than not, however, which isn't
true of the current function which I'd guess is getting about 50% of
the cases (mailer's choice on which to put first on the line).

--

@ 1998-01-12 22:31   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-12 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Franklin <paul@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> I'll suggest a hack-ish alternative...
>
> Use the longest string which looks like a message ID.

It's an idea.  Fix in Quassia Gnus v0.23.