* moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-14 19:55 Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2011-03-14 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have about 300 nnml groups, some dating back a decade or so.

I'd like to move them to IMAP, so I can get to them offbox and also
with Mail.app on my iphone.

I already have my incoming mail split to both
.incoming/[nnml-group-name] and IMAP folders, and I can see
nnimap+localhost:INBOX just fine.

First, is there info in the nnml format (like marks) that I'll lose when
I go to nnimap?

Second, is there an easy way to take everything from nnml:MUMBLE and
move it to nnimap:MUMBLE while retaining as much meta-info as possible?

Thanks.

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-14 20:11 ` Ted Zlatanov
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-14 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:55:13 -0700 merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

RLS> I have about 300 nnml groups, some dating back a decade or so.

RLS> I'd like to move them to IMAP, so I can get to them offbox and also
RLS> with Mail.app on my iphone.

RLS> I already have my incoming mail split to both
RLS> .incoming/[nnml-group-name] and IMAP folders, and I can see
RLS> nnimap+localhost:INBOX just fine.

RLS> First, is there info in the nnml format (like marks) that I'll lose when
RLS> I go to nnimap?

No, but the marks will now live on the IMAP server instead of locally.

RLS> Second, is there an easy way to take everything from nnml:MUMBLE and
RLS> move it to nnimap:MUMBLE while retaining as much meta-info as possible?

I don't know of one.  You basically need to do (open group with C-u to
see all articles, mark all articles, copy to
(gnus-newsgroup-name =~ s/nnml/nnimap/) ) 300 times.  It can be
automated I guess, but no one has needed the automation badly enough.
If you want I can write a function to do it.

Ted

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-15  1:02   ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2011-03-15  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

RLS> Second, is there an easy way to take everything from nnml:MUMBLE and
RLS> move it to nnimap:MUMBLE while retaining as much meta-info as possible?

> I don't know of one.  You basically need to do (open group with C-u to
> see all articles, mark all articles, copy to
> (gnus-newsgroup-name =~ s/nnml/nnimap/) ) 300 times.  It can be
> automated I guess, but no one has needed the automation badly enough.
> If you want I can write a function to do it.

I did this a number of years ago.  Going through my .xemacs/init.el version history I find this:

(defun nnml2nnimap-group ()
  (interactive)
  (gnus-group-make-group
   (concat "INBOX."
	   (buffer-substring
	    (region-beginning)
	    (region-end)))
   "nnimap:cyrus"))

which I used to create a destination IMAP group for each nnml group.

I can't find what I wrote to do the actual moves.  My memory says I did it with a keyboard macro, editing the destination group in the macro before each run, but apparently I never saved that out.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-15 15:28   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I don't know of one.  You basically need to do (open group with C-u to
> see all articles, mark all articles, copy to
> (gnus-newsgroup-name =~ s/nnml/nnimap/) ) 300 times.  It can be
> automated I guess, but no one has needed the automation badly enough.
> If you want I can write a function to do it.

It sounds like a good idea.  The ability to, say, slurp down all
groups/messages from IMAP server A to move them to server B sounds
useful, too, so this should be a quite general command.  Perhaps in the
server buffer?  "Copy (or move?) all messages from server Foo to server
Bar?"

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-15 15:51     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-15 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:28:00 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> I don't know of one.  You basically need to do (open group with C-u to
>> see all articles, mark all articles, copy to
>> (gnus-newsgroup-name =~ s/nnml/nnimap/) ) 300 times.  It can be
>> automated I guess, but no one has needed the automation badly enough.
>> If you want I can write a function to do it.

LMI> It sounds like a good idea.  The ability to, say, slurp down all
LMI> groups/messages from IMAP server A to move them to server B sounds
LMI> useful, too, so this should be a quite general command.  Perhaps in the
LMI> server buffer?  "Copy (or move?) all messages from server Foo to server
LMI> Bar?"

It's extremely likely to get interrupted, though.  So really what you
want is something like imapsync but for Gnus.  Perhaps that's better
left as a Cloudy Gnus TODO item.

Ted

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> It's extremely likely to get interrupted, though.  So really what you
> want is something like imapsync but for Gnus.

Yes.  But it should be possible to keep track of what's been copied
over, so that the copying process can be restarted when it (inevitably)
fails.  So it'll have to be implemented carefully, but it would be
useful.

> Perhaps that's better left as a Cloudy Gnus TODO item.

It's kinda orthogonal to the Cloudy functionality...

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-15 16:07         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-15 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:58:32 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> It's extremely likely to get interrupted, though.  So really what you
>> want is something like imapsync but for Gnus.

LMI> Yes.  But it should be possible to keep track of what's been copied
LMI> over, so that the copying process can be restarted when it (inevitably)
LMI> fails.  So it'll have to be implemented carefully, but it would be
LMI> useful.

>> Perhaps that's better left as a Cloudy Gnus TODO item.

LMI> It's kinda orthogonal to the Cloudy functionality...

I don't mean it will be "cloudy" functionality, only that it's major
enough that I'd like to do it after No Gnus is released.

Ted

P.S. Ha ha!  I've got you saying "Cloudy Gnus" too!

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-15 16:13           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I don't mean it will be "cloudy" functionality, only that it's major
> enough that I'd like to do it after No Gnus is released.

True, but you don't have to wait if you just want to start implementing
it right now, either.  :-)

> P.S. Ha ha!  I've got you saying "Cloudy Gnus" too!

Eek!

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-16  8:38   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-03-16  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> No, but the marks will now live on the IMAP server instead of locally.

Also, gnus uses some custom marks that other MUAs may not recognize.

What IMAP server, btw?  If the choice hasn't already been made, I
recommend dovecot.  Easy to set up, easy to maintain, and it has been
completely stable for me, for the last 2 years 25 weeks and 5 days
(that's when I did a switch from cyrus, and... when all of my IMAP pains
went away).

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-16 13:55     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-16 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:38:47 +0100 Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

>> No, but the marks will now live on the IMAP server instead of locally.

SB> Also, gnus uses some custom marks that other MUAs may not recognize.

This is OK, IMAP supports it (well, it's an extension, but most IMAP
servers have it these days).

SB> What IMAP server, btw?  If the choice hasn't already been made, I
SB> recommend dovecot.  Easy to set up, easy to maintain, and it has been
SB> completely stable for me, for the last 2 years 25 weeks and 5 days
SB> (that's when I did a switch from cyrus, and... when all of my IMAP pains
SB> went away).

Yeah, my experience has been that Dovecot > Courier >= Cyrus > Zimbra

Ted

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-17  8:12       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-03-17  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

SB> Also, gnus uses some custom marks that other MUAs may not recognize.

> This is OK, IMAP supports it (well, it's an extension, but most IMAP
> servers have it these days).

Yup.  From a gnus POV, no information is lost, when moving from nnml to
nnimap.  But other MUAs (like eg. the Mail.App of iPhone the OP
mentioned), may not be able to utilize them.

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-17  8:13     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2011-03-17  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Mar 15 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> I don't know of one.  You basically need to do (open group with C-u to
>> see all articles, mark all articles, copy to
>> (gnus-newsgroup-name =~ s/nnml/nnimap/) ) 300 times.  It can be
>> automated I guess, but no one has needed the automation badly enough.
>> If you want I can write a function to do it.
>
> It sounds like a good idea.  The ability to, say, slurp down all
> groups/messages from IMAP server A to move them to server B sounds
> useful, too, so this should be a quite general command.  Perhaps in the
> server buffer?  "Copy (or move?) all messages from server Foo to server
> Bar?"

I have been using this code[1]:

(defvar rs-gnus-migrate-old-group-regexp "^nnmaildir.personal:"
  "Regexp matching old groups.")
(defvar rs-gnus-migrate-target-group-prefix "nnml+personal:"
  "Prefix for new groups.")
;; (defvar rs-gnus-migrate-transform-function nil
;;   ;;  'rs-gnus-migrate-transform
;;   "Transform old name to new name")
;; (defun rs-gnus-migrate-transform (oldname)
;;   "Transform old name, return new name"
;;   (gnus-replace-in-string oldname "^.*:\\(News\\|Lists\\|Root\\)\\." ""))

;;;###autoload
(defun rs-gnus-migrate-loop (&optional copy)
  (interactive)
  (let (gnus-large-newsgroup
	gnus-parameters
	case-fold-search
	g-list full oldmethod g-name fulltarget
	level)
    (dolist (group gnus-newsrc-alist) ;; loop over all groups
      (setq full (car group))
      (setq oldmethod
	    (gnus-replace-in-string
	     full (regexp-quote (gnus-replace-in-string full "^.*:" "")) ""))
      (if (fboundp rs-gnus-migrate-transform-function)
	  (setq g-name (funcall rs-gnus-migrate-transform-function full))
	(setq g-name (gnus-replace-in-string full "^.*:" "")))
      ;;
      (setq fulltarget (concat rs-gnus-migrate-target-group-prefix g-name))
      (when (string-match rs-gnus-migrate-old-group-regexp full)
	(when (string= oldmethod "")
	  (setq oldmethod nil))
	(gnus-message 5
		      "full=`%s',\n oldmethod=`%s',\n g-name=`%s',\n fulltarget=`%s'"
		      full oldmethod g-name fulltarget)
	;;))));; when DUMMY
	;; Create target group next to the old one:
	(gnus-group-jump-to-group full) ;; j
	(setq level (gnus-group-group-level))
	;; create target group unless it already exists:
	(save-excursion
	  (if (gnus-gethash fulltarget gnus-newsrc-hashtb)
	      (gnus-group-jump-to-group fulltarget)
	    (gnus-group-make-group
	     g-name
	     ;; FIXME: Use Gnus functions instead of regexps.  Which one?
	     ;; FIXME: Use gnus-group-real-name?
	     (gnus-replace-in-string rs-gnus-migrate-target-group-prefix
				     "^\\([^+:]*\\).*$" "\\1")
	     (gnus-replace-in-string rs-gnus-migrate-target-group-prefix
				     "^[^+]+\\+\\([^:]+\\).*$" "\\1")))
	  (gnus-group-set-current-level nil level))
	(if (and (gnus-activate-group full)
		 (gnus-group-quick-select-group t)) ;; 0 M-RET
	    (progn
	      (gnus-summary-toggle-threads -1)
	      (gnus-summary-sort-by-date) ;; optional
	      (gnus-uu-mark-buffer) ;; M P b
	      ;; Maybe use `-move-' here:
	      (if copy
		  (gnus-summary-copy-article nil fulltarget)
		(gnus-summary-move-article nil fulltarget))
	      (sit-for 1)
	      (gnus-summary-exit))
	  (gnus-message 1 "Skipped inactivate group %s" full))
	;; Maybe unsubscribe/delete old group here:
	;; ...
	(gnus-group-change-level full gnus-level-killed)
	(gnus-message 7 "Processed `%s'" g-name)
	(sit-for 1)))))

[1] See also ...

,----[ http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/53300 ]
| From: Reiner Steib
| Subject: Re: POP to IMAP
| Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
| Date: 2003-07-01 13:33:22 GMT
`----

Bye, Reiner.

--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-17 10:58         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-17 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:12:07 +0100 Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

SB> Also, gnus uses some custom marks that other MUAs may not recognize.

>> This is OK, IMAP supports it (well, it's an extension, but most IMAP
>> servers have it these days).

SB> Yup.  From a gnus POV, no information is lost, when moving from nnml to
SB> nnimap.  But other MUAs (like eg. the Mail.App of iPhone the OP
SB> mentioned), may not be able to utilize them.

They couldn't use nnml at all, so it's better anyway in the end :)

Ted

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-17 14:46       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-17 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:13:50 +0100 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

RS> On Tue, Mar 15 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>>
>>> I don't know of one.  You basically need to do (open group with C-u to
>>> see all articles, mark all articles, copy to
>>> (gnus-newsgroup-name =~ s/nnml/nnimap/) ) 300 times.  It can be
>>> automated I guess, but no one has needed the automation badly enough.
>>> If you want I can write a function to do it.
>>
>> It sounds like a good idea.  The ability to, say, slurp down all
>> groups/messages from IMAP server A to move them to server B sounds
>> useful, too, so this should be a quite general command.  Perhaps in the
>> server buffer?  "Copy (or move?) all messages from server Foo to server
>> Bar?"

RS> (defun rs-gnus-migrate-loop (&optional copy)

Any chance this can be added to Gnus?

Ted

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-17 19:07       ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2011-03-17 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Reiner> I have been using this code[1]:

Speaking of which, since I'm in the right place now to ask this, the
quoted code was in a completely unreadable black-type-on-dark-blue.
Sure, I can blindly cut-n-paste it, but it'd be nice to read it "in
place".

(a) why is this ugly combo the default?
(2) how do I customize that?  I'm not even sure how to search.
    M-x customize-ugly-dark-blue-on-black-when-in-quoted-mail  :)

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-17 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> (a) why is this ugly combo the default?
> (2) how do I customize that?  I'm not even sure how to search.
>     M-x customize-ugly-dark-blue-on-black-when-in-quoted-mail  :)

(face-at-point) will tell you the name of the face under point.  In this
instance, it's `mm-uu-extract'.

I think it must be this part of the spec:

			 (((type tty)
			   (class color)
			   (background dark))
			  (:background "dark blue"))

Are you running your Emacs on a tty with a dark background?  Perhaps
`set-background-color' would allow Emacs to become unconfused...

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-17 20:17           ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2011-03-17 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars> 			 (((type tty)
Lars> 			   (class color)
Lars> 			   (background dark))
Lars> 			  (:background "dark blue"))

No, my tty is a light background, so the letters are black.  And thus, I
get black on dark blue.  Ugh.

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-17 20:19             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-17 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> No, my tty is a light background, so the letters are black.  And thus, I
> get black on dark blue.  Ugh.

Does

(set-background-color "white")

in your .emacs fix the problem?

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-17 22:12               ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2011-03-17 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars> (set-background-color "white")

Lars> in your .emacs fix the problem?

It does!  So why doesn't emacs know that already?

* Re: moving from nnml to nnimap
@ 2011-03-29 19:12                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-29 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> It does!  So why doesn't emacs know that already?

When running Emacs on a tty, it has no way to query the tty for what
background colour it's using.  It defaults to assuming that the
background colour is black, which is probably as likely as anything
else.

So you have to tell Emacs what the background colour it's running under.

* Re: Moving from nnml to nnimap...
@ 2003-11-25 17:01     ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2003-11-25 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm also interested in possibly making the move to nnimap.

I use crossposting a lot in my incoming mail splitting, though.
I want the messages marked for expiration in all groups at the same
time it's marked for expiration in one of the other groups.  Do marks
get propagated for cross-posted articles in nnimap?

Ken

* Re: Moving from nnml to nnimap...
@ 2003-11-24 16:24   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-11-24 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jinhyok Heo, ding

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, daniel@rimspace.net wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Jinhyok Heo wrote:
>> First of all, is there an easy way to move an existing nnml group
>> to nnimap one? I did try to use "B c" to move one to a new nnimap
>> group, but it was too slow for an large or huge group.
>
> I never found one, although you could possibly write a routine if
> you knew lisp well enough...

I think it's easiest to condense the nnml group into a single mbox
file and import that into the IMAP server if you have shell access to
it, and it allows mbox storage.  I've done that with UW IMAP, and it
works nicely.  Unfortunately, marks will be lost - if you need those,
and you have some choice in the IMAP server, use one that allows
Maildir storage.  It will be much faster to move articles into the
IMAP server then.

> I strongly recommend the Cyrus IMAP server. While it is much harder
> to get up and running than the competition, the performance is great
> and it's extremely powerful and useful.

I'm also evaluating dovecot for Gnus, I'll let the group know how
performance compares between dovecot and Cyrus, when I have a few
months of experience.  UW IMAP performance with Gnus is pretty bad.
The only reason I'm using UW IMAP is because that's what my ISP
provides.  It is occasionally convenient to access folders as mbox
files. that's the only benefit to UW IMAP.

Ted

* Re: Moving from nnml to nnimap...
@ 2003-11-24  1:48 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2003-11-24  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Jinhyok Heo wrote:
> First of all, is there an easy way to move an existing nnml group to
> nnimap one? I did try to use "B c" to move one to a new nnimap group,
> but it was too slow for an large or huge group.

I never found one, although you could possibly write a routine if you
knew lisp well enough...

> Secondly, what size of one nnimap group is appropriate? I think nnimap
> will be slower than nnml and it is good to maintain appropriate size
> of nnimap groups. Can you give me a rough size?

With a real IMAP server, performance should be as good as, or better
than, Gnus and nnml, in my experience.

> Thirdly, is there a way to share gnus marks among xemacses on other
> machines? I remember I saw an thread regarding this issue. I want to
> know the current status of it.

If you use IMAP, the marks are stored on the server...

> Lastly, I use UW imap server, which doesn't seem to be recommended for
> gnus.

That would be because it's ... not very good, to put it mildly. The
upstream policy on security issues ("use something else") was also not
inspiring...

> Does it have any defect unlike Courier or Cyrus imap?

Well, the default use of 'mbox' folders will make your performance suck
completely. :)

I strongly recommend the Cyrus IMAP server. While it is much harder to
get up and running than the competition, the performance is great and
it's extremely powerful and useful.

Courier is fine for small groups, but isn't a well featured IMAP server
for the "shared" or "group" stuff that you can do (public and shared
folders, for example).

         Daniel

--
Anyone who doubts the value of [probabilistic] statements sould try to
determine the total assets of insurance companies in America. This astonishing

* Moving from nnml to nnimap...
@ 2003-11-24  0:59 Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2003-11-24  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now I'm moving from nnml to nnimap and I want to hear some advice from
you.

First of all, is there an easy way to move an existing nnml group to
nnimap one? I did try to use "B c" to move one to a new nnimap group,
but it was too slow for an large or huge group.

Secondly, what size of one nnimap group is appropriate? I think nnimap
will be slower than nnml and it is good to maintain appropriate size
of nnimap groups. Can you give me a rough size?

Thirdly, is there a way to share gnus marks among xemacses on other
machines? I remember I saw an thread regarding this issue. I want to
know the current status of it.

Lastly, I use UW imap server, which doesn't seem to be recommended for
gnus. Does it have any defect unlike Courier or Cyrus imap?

Many questions. :)

Thanks in advance.

--