* Error when killing groups
@ 2010-12-22 19:22 Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-12-22 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

When I run gnus-group-kill-group on certain no-longer-existing imap
groups, I get the following:

Opening connection to gapp via tls...
Opening TLS connection to `gapp'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p imaps gapp'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p imaps gapp --protocols ssl3'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `openssl s_client -connect gapp:imaps -no_ssl2 -ign_eof'...failed
Opening TLS connection to `gapp'...failed
open-protocol-stream: Wrong number of arguments: nil, 0

The group does get killed in my Group buffer but is the above the
expected behaviour?

I guess the reason is that the "gapp" server is no longer there (which
is why I'm killing the groups). So clearly the connection attempt is
going to fail. Questions arising then are:

1. Is it necessary to attempt to go to the server to kill the group?
i.e. is killing a server-side thing?

2. If not .. well, why's it trying to go there?

3. If so, how come my group gets successfully killed (client side)
anyway?

4. Also if so, the above error is making it impossible to kill large
numbers of groups in one go (because the open-protocol-stream error
stops any batch of kills dead in its tracks). Isn't that a bug even if
nothing else is?

Oveerall it just seems Not Good to get a "Wrong number of arguments"
error in my minibuffer after doing what appears to be a reasonable
action.

Tommy

* Re: Error when killing groups
@ 2011-01-02  6:02 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-02  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

> When I run gnus-group-kill-group on certain no-longer-existing imap
> groups, I get the following:

[...]

> open-protocol-stream: Wrong number of arguments: nil, 0

Do you get a backtrace if you have (setq debug-on-error t)?

> 1. Is it necessary to attempt to go to the server to kill the group?
> i.e. is killing a server-side thing?

Gnus now sends an UNSUBSCRIBE to the IMAP server when you kill the
group, so...  sorta.  But perhaps it shouldn't do this if the group
isn't active.

I'll fix that.