* Current CVS seems to be losing mail
@ 2003-01-25 16:55 Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2003-01-25 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

CVS Gnus as of about now seems to lose track of messages somewhere
between the Incoming file and the nnml directory.  The nnml group's
unread count changes from, e.g. 0 to 1, but when I attempt to enter
the group, I am told that there are no unread messages.  I went back
24 hours with cvs update -D yesterday, and Gnus from then works fine.

--
 /                          |
[|] Sean Neakums            | Size *does* matter.

* Re: Current CVS seems to be losing mail
@ 2003-01-25 17:49 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-01-25 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:

> CVS Gnus as of about now seems to lose track of messages somewhere
> between the Incoming file and the nnml directory.  The nnml group's
> unread count changes from, e.g. 0 to 1, but when I attempt to enter
> the group, I am told that there are no unread messages.  I went back
> 24 hours with cvs update -D yesterday, and Gnus from then works fine.

If you use all files from HEAD except nnmail.el, do you see this?

I made a slight change to nnmail.el, but I don't think it will fix
this.  But maybe.  Did any of the nnmail/spam guinea pigs survive?

* Re: Current CVS seems to be losing mail
@ 2003-01-25 18:21   ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2003-01-25 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

commence  Simon Josefsson quotation:

> Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
>
>> CVS Gnus as of about now seems to lose track of messages somewhere
>> between the Incoming file and the nnml directory.  The nnml group's
>> unread count changes from, e.g. 0 to 1, but when I attempt to enter
>> the group, I am told that there are no unread messages.  I went back
>> 24 hours with cvs update -D yesterday, and Gnus from then works fine.
>
> If you use all files from HEAD except nnmail.el, do you see this?

Running now with all files from head, except nnmail.el, which is at
version 6.57.  Working fine.

--
 /                          |

@ 2003-01-25 18:53     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-01-25 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:

> commence  Simon Josefsson quotation:
>
>> Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
>>
>>> CVS Gnus as of about now seems to lose track of messages somewhere
>>> between the Incoming file and the nnml directory.  The nnml group's
>>> unread count changes from, e.g. 0 to 1, but when I attempt to enter
>>> the group, I am told that there are no unread messages.  I went back
>>> 24 hours with cvs update -D yesterday, and Gnus from then works fine.
>>
>> If you use all files from HEAD except nnmail.el, do you see this?
>
> Running now with all files from head, except nnmail.el, which is at
> version 6.57.  Working fine.

Do you see the problem with (newly committed) version 6.60 too?  No
need to recompile to test, you M-x eval-buffer RET in the new version
and test, and then revert to the old by doing the same in the old
version.

* Re: Current CVS seems to be losing mail
@ 2003-01-25 19:21       ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2003-01-25 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

commence  Simon Josefsson quotation:

> Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
>
>> Running now with all files from head, except nnmail.el, which is at
>> version 6.57.  Working fine.
>
> Do you see the problem with (newly committed) version 6.60 too?  No
> need to recompile to test, you M-x eval-buffer RET in the new version
> and test, and then revert to the old by doing the same in the old
> version.

Still happening with 6.60.  Further oddness: the Incoming file had
*two* messages in it, one destined for group X and one for Y; X's
unread count went from 0 to 1, and Y's did not change at all.  When I
entered X, the usual "no unread messages" message came up.

--
 /                          |

@ 2003-01-25 20:44         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-01-25 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:

> commence  Simon Josefsson quotation:
>
>> Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
>>
>>> Running now with all files from head, except nnmail.el, which is at
>>> version 6.57.  Working fine.
>>
>> Do you see the problem with (newly committed) version 6.60 too?  No
>> need to recompile to test, you M-x eval-buffer RET in the new version
>> and test, and then revert to the old by doing the same in the old
>> version.
>
> Still happening with 6.60.

I reproduced it now, should be fixed.

To All: if you call functions in fancy nnmail splitting and used Gnus
from CVS for the last 5 hours you should respool your Incoming* files,
or something.

> Further oddness: the Incoming file had *two* messages in it

This is normal, I think.  It should be an mbox file.

* Re: Current CVS seems to be losing mail
@ 2003-01-25 21:04           ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2003-01-25 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

commence  Simon Josefsson quotation:

> Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
>> Further oddness: the Incoming file had *two* messages in it
>
> This is normal, I think.  It should be an mbox file.

I know this, but I just thought the fact that it didn't try to file
the second message in group Y was interesting.

--

@ 2003-01-26  0:39   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-01-26  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, jas@extundo.com wrote:
> I made a slight change to nnmail.el, but I don't think it will fix
> this.  But maybe.  Did any of the nnmail/spam guinea pigs survive?

I couldn't test, my ISP went off-line for hours just after I got your
confirmation.  I think it was the MS SQL worm :)

Ted