* killing non-English posts
@ 2002-04-19 12:11 luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-04-19 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I tell gnus to kill any posts that are not encoded in English
(latin-1)?

For example, reading gnu.emacs.bug I can tell from the subject that a
post is not in English, so I can delete them without consequence (and
I also think that the Emacs bug-submission form says "Please write in
English since the maintainers only understand it..."; technically,
those posts shouldn't even be there in the first place).

* Re: killing non-English posts
@ 2003-01-01 20:28 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-01 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> How do I tell gnus to kill any posts that are not encoded in English
> (latin-1)?

Well, they can be in English and still be iso-8859-{1,9,15}, or
utf-8, or iso-2022, so that's kinda difficult to do.

I think the most likely thing to do is to go through the text in the
body of the message and check whether the text contains more than 50%
[a-zA-Z] characters.  If not, it's unlikely that it's English.

I'll leave implementing this as an exercise to the reader.