* Package to handle .mailrc
@ 2001-12-27 20:21 Jon Haugsand
From: Jon Haugsand @ 2001-12-27 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

At <http://www.ifi.uio.no/%7ejonhaug/exgnus.el> I have a package
(read: "a hack") that expands gnus such that its interaction with
.mailrc is somewhat more convenient.  It provides two kinds of
functionality:

1. If you are writing email and pushes <tab> to get an alias replaced
   with its definition from the .mailrc file, exgnus lists possible
   completion.

2. If you receive a mail (or read a news article) you can insert the
   email's (article's) sender or its receipents into the .mailrc file
   with just a few keys.

See documentation at the beginning of my file.

Comments are always welcome.  (And with my luck, someone has already
made this, just much better.)

--
Jon Haugsand
  Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway, mailto:jonhaug@ifi.uio.no

* Re: Package to handle .mailrc
@ 2001-12-27 20:35 ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-12-27 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Haugsand <jonhaug@ifi.uio.no> writes:

<snip>

> Comments are always welcome.  (And with my luck, someone has already
> made this, just much better.)

How about BBDB? :)

<URL:http://bbdb.sf.net/>

--
Josh Huber

* Re: Package to handle .mailrc
@ 2001-12-28 23:40 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-28 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Haugsand <jonhaug@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> At <http://www.ifi.uio.no/%7ejonhaug/exgnus.el> I have a package
> (read: "a hack") that expands gnus such that its interaction with
> .mailrc is somewhat more convenient.  It provides two kinds of
> functionality:
>
> 1. If you are writing email and pushes <tab> to get an alias replaced
>    with its definition from the .mailrc file, exgnus lists possible
>    completion.
>
> 2. If you receive a mail (or read a news article) you can insert the
>    email's (article's) sender or its receipents into the .mailrc file
>    with just a few keys.

I think this is a good idea, but perhaps it would be even more useful
as a general mailrc library package?  That is, a package that provides
an interface for doing interesting things to the mailrc file, and then
Gnus could "hook into" this library.  That way, other packages could
also use this mailrc library.

(bbdb is great, but it's a bit daunting.  mailrc is probably more
convenient for people who just want an itsy-bitsy address book.)

* Re: Package to handle .mailrc
@ 2001-12-29 17:22   ` Jon Haugsand
From: Jon Haugsand @ 2001-12-29 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> I think this is a good idea, but perhaps it would be even more useful
> as a general mailrc library package?  That is, a package that provides
> an interface for doing interesting things to the mailrc file, and then
> Gnus could "hook into" this library.  That way, other packages could
> also use this mailrc library.

Good idea.