* expiry in virtual groups
@ 2000-01-12  7:26 Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2000-01-12  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have two groups nnfolder:Inbox and nnfolder:Sent, and a virtual
group nnvirtual:Both which encompasses the previous two.  None of the
groups use total-expire or auto-expire;  I manually mark articles with
`E'.  When gnus-group-expire-all-groups is run, or when
gnus-group-expire-articles is run on the virtual group, the E mark
disappears from all articles in the two component groups which were
marked as expirable, but which weren't old enough to be deleted.  Old
expirable articles are deleted as they should be.

This didn't happen until recently.  I am currently running gnus
from cvs.  The latest lisp/Changelog entry is dated 2000-01-09 22:52:35.
My previous gnus version was probably a few weeks old.

Any idea how to fix this?

Dan

--
Dan Christensen
jdc@math.jhu.edu

* Re: expiry in virtual groups
@ 2000-04-21 13:25 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-21 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Christensen <jdc@jhu.edu> writes:

> I have two groups nnfolder:Inbox and nnfolder:Sent, and a virtual
> group nnvirtual:Both which encompasses the previous two.  None of the
> groups use total-expire or auto-expire;  I manually mark articles with
> `E'.  When gnus-group-expire-all-groups is run, or when
> gnus-group-expire-articles is run on the virtual group, the E mark
> disappears from all articles in the two component groups which were
> marked as expirable, but which weren't old enough to be deleted.  Old
> expirable articles are deleted as they should be.

I seem to be unable to reproduce this.  Is this bug still present in
Gnus?

* Re: expiry in virtual groups
@ 2000-04-24 17:51   ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2000-04-24 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Dan Christensen <jdc@jhu.edu> writes:
>
> > I have two groups nnfolder:Inbox and nnfolder:Sent, and a virtual
> > group nnvirtual:Both which encompasses the previous two.  None of the
> > groups use total-expire or auto-expire;  I manually mark articles with
> > `E'.  When gnus-group-expire-all-groups is run, or when
> > gnus-group-expire-articles is run on the virtual group, the E mark
> > disappears from all articles in the two component groups which were
> > marked as expirable, but which weren't old enough to be deleted.  Old
> > expirable articles are deleted as they should be.
>
> I seem to be unable to reproduce this.  Is this bug still present in
> Gnus?

It still happens consistently to me, with the 12:44 EDT version of
Gnus from cvs.  I tested it with a different nnfolder group, the only
member of a virtual group, and it happened there too.  In this second
case, the nnfolder group used auto-expire.

Dan

--
Dan Christensen
jdc@math.jhu.edu

* Re: expiry in virtual groups
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-08-10 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Christensen <jdc@jhu.edu> writes:

> > > I have two groups nnfolder:Inbox and nnfolder:Sent, and a virtual
> > > group nnvirtual:Both which encompasses the previous two.  None of the
> > > groups use total-expire or auto-expire;  I manually mark articles with
> > > `E'.  When gnus-group-expire-all-groups is run, or when
> > > gnus-group-expire-articles is run on the virtual group, the E mark
> > > disappears from all articles in the two component groups which were
> > > marked as expirable, but which weren't old enough to be deleted.  Old
> > > expirable articles are deleted as they should be.
> >
> > I seem to be unable to reproduce this.  Is this bug still present in
> > Gnus?
>
> It still happens consistently to me, with the 12:44 EDT version of
> Gnus from cvs.  I tested it with a different nnfolder group, the only
> member of a virtual group, and it happened there too.

Are other marks lost as well, or is it just the `E' mark?

* Re: expiry in virtual groups
@ 2000-08-10 19:28       ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2000-08-10 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Are other marks lost as well, or is it just the `E' mark?

FWIW, I have the same problem with my nnmaildir on Gnus 5.7.  Only E
is lost for me.

paul

* Re: expiry in virtual groups
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-08-10 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> > Are other marks lost as well, or is it just the `E' mark?
>
> FWIW, I have the same problem with my nnmaildir on Gnus 5.7.  Only E
> is lost for me.

I think I've located and fixed this bug.  Could you check the version
in CVS in a few minuted to see whether things start working?

* Re: expiry in virtual groups
@ 2000-09-04  3:57           ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2000-09-04  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > Are other marks lost as well, or is it just the `E' mark?
> >
> > FWIW, I have the same problem with my nnmaildir on Gnus 5.7.  Only E
> > is lost for me.
>
> I think I've located and fixed this bug.  Could you check the version
> in CVS in a few minuted to see whether things start working?

I have no experience with CVS, so I haven't done this.  But the new
version of nnmaildir seems to have fixed it (I haven't touched Gnus),
so it was probably at least partly my (i.e., nnmaildir's) fault (in my
case, anyway, but not for the OP's).

paul

* Re: expiry in virtual groups
@ 2000-09-09 18:19           ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2000-09-09 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > Are other marks lost as well, or is it just the `E' mark?
> >
> > FWIW, I have the same problem with my nnmaildir on Gnus 5.7.  Only E
> > is lost for me.
>
> I think I've located and fixed this bug.  Could you check the version
> in CVS in a few minuted to see whether things start working?

I finally got around to testing this, and it seems to work fine now.

[The problem was that E marks disappeared on articles in component
groups of a virtual group when gnus-group-expire-articles was run
on the virtual group and the articles weren't old enough to be
expired.]

Dan

--
Dan Christensen
jdc@julian.uwo.ca

* Re: Expiry in virtual groups
@ 1999-06-12  2:04             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-06-12  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> > Could you check whether `nnvirtual-request-expire-articles' was
> > called, and if it was, what did it do?
>
> As far as I can tell, it doesn't get called at all.

Hmm.  I've looked at the code that I think is supposed to do the
expiration, and I can't find any checks that would disable it when the
group is a virtual group...

* Re: Expiry in virtual groups
@ 1999-04-19 16:06       ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-04-19 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged

* Re: Expiry in virtual groups
@ 1999-04-19 14:34     ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-04-19 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> > Can't you just `C-c M-C-x' once in a while, like I do?  :-)
>
> I can, but it's sort of yucky to have to do that.  I've never needed
> to do it so far.

Heh.  That's the only way that I expire.  I turn off the exit-hook to
do expiry, which makes exiting groups much quicker.  About once a week
I will C-c M-C-x before leaving my desk for the day.

Expiry never takes up my time.   :-)

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: Expiry in virtual groups
@ 1999-04-19 12:30           ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-04-19 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-18 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-04-18 17:51       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-04-18 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-04-17 19:35     ` Matt Pharr
From: Matt Pharr @ 1999-04-17 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Can't you just `C-c M-C-x' once in a while, like I do?  :-)
>
> I can, but it's sort of yucky to have to do that.  I've never needed
> to do it so far.

One of my favorites in my .gnus.el file is the following, which I got off
of the ding list eons ago.  I forget who suggested it (Per A, maybe?).
Anyway, exiting mail groups is faster since it doesn't try to do any expiry
then, instead periodically doing it as a demon.

(remove-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook 'gnus-summary-expire-articles)
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-expire-all-groups 30 30)

-matt
--
Matt Pharr                                   mmp@graphics.stanford.edu
<URL:http://graphics.stanford.edu/~mmp>

* Re: Expiry in virtual groups
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-17 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> > But `gnus-summary-expire-articles' takes into account group props
> > and stuff, and we don't want the group props from the virtual group
> > to adhere to the component groups, do we?
>
> We don't.  But then again, maybe it really /should/ be an
> nnvirtual-specific kludge.

I've now created a `nnvirtual-request-expire-articles' which simply
runs the expiry process on all its component groups.  Could you test
it after 0.83 has been released?  I don't have any nnvirtual groups
that have expirable component groups...

* Re: Expiry in virtual groups
@ 1999-04-17 16:22   ` Hrvoje Niksic
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-04-17 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It is not the case.  Expiry is done from
> `gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook' (which defaults to
> `gnus-summary-expire-articles').  The obvious kludge would be to
> have the latter function also expire component groups if the current
> group is a virtual group.

I don't think that would be a kludge, it's exactly the right solution.
If you feel it breaks the Gnus-vs-backends abstraction, you could make
a way for backends to specify some sort of expiry parameters.

@ 1999-04-17  8:08 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-17  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Now, the question: each of these mail groups has its expiry stuff set.
> But I never enter any of them anymore because I read only the virtual
> one.  So when will the expiry process take place?  Ideally, when I
> exit the virtual groups, all the component groups should be run
> through expiry.  This might be the case; I just want to check that it
> is.

It is not the case.  Expiry is done from
`gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook' (which defaults to
`gnus-summary-expire-articles').  The obvious kludge would be to have
the latter function also expire component groups if the current group
is a virtual group.

Uhm.  But where to do it...  I could add an
nnvirtual-request-expire-articles function, which could do its thing.
Hm.  Er.  Yes.  Probably.  But `gnus-summary-expire-articles' takes
into account group props and stuff, and we don't want the group props
from the virtual group to adhere to the component groups, do we?  That
could be potentially catastrophic.

Hm.

Can't you just `C-c M-C-x' once in a while, like I do?  :-)

* Expiry in virtual groups
@ 1999-04-14 23:54 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-04-14 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using nnvirtual for the first time and I'm incredibly satisfied.
Specifically, I split two different things into two different
newsgroups, and then read them in a single virtual group (because the
articles in one are followups on those in the other).  The nicety of
this approach is that I can still view them separately, if I wish.