* nnslashdot question
@ 1999-12-02  1:50 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1999-12-02  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've started using nnslashdot and it's working.  I added a
gnus-secondary-select-method for nnslashdot and mentioned in the
documentation.  I changed my gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method from
gnus-subscribe-zombies to gnus-subscribe-topics.  I created a 'slashdot'
topic and set its parameter as described in the mail list. When I fetch
mail/news nothing special happens unless I press "F" and then slashdot groups
appear in the topic.

Some questions:

1) Is what I described above the recommended way of incorporating nnslashdot?

2) How do I remove slashdot groups that I am not interested in reading?  C-k?

3) Having changed my gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method, how are other new
   groups treated when they appear on my news server?  using
   gnus-subscribe-zombies, I never did anything special to check for new
   newsgroups. I would just periodically press A-z to check for any zombies.
   What will be different now?

TIA!

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

"Every time I think I've idiot-proofed something someone comes up with a
better idiot"

* Re: nnslashdot question
@ 1999-12-06  4:18 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-06  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> I've started using nnslashdot and it's working.  I added a
> gnus-secondary-select-method for nnslashdot and mentioned in the
> documentation.  I changed my gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method from
> gnus-subscribe-zombies to gnus-subscribe-topics.  I created a 'slashdot'
> topic and set its parameter as described in the mail list. When I fetch
> mail/news nothing special happens unless I press "F" and then slashdot groups
> appear in the topic.
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1) Is what I described above the recommended way of incorporating nnslashdot?

Yes.

> 2) How do I remove slashdot groups that I am not interested in reading?  C-k?

It'll just reappear later.  Perhaps there should be a
`nnslashdot-purge-old-groups'.  Hm.  No, `G DEL' should work.  Fix in
Gnus v5.8.3.

> 3) Having changed my gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method, how are other new
>    groups treated when they appear on my news server?  using
>    gnus-subscribe-zombies, I never did anything special to check for new
>    newsgroups. I would just periodically press A-z to check for any zombies.
>    What will be different now?

All new groups will be subscribed on level 3 in the top-level topic.
(That is, except for the groups that match some `subscription' topic
parameter.)

* Re: nnslashdot question
@ 1999-12-06 20:01   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1999-12-06 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> 3) Having changed my gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method, how are other
    >>    new
    >> groups treated when they appear on my news server?  using
    >> gnus-subscribe-zombies, I never did anything special to check for new
    >> newsgroups. I would just periodically press A-z to check for any
    >> zombies.  What will be different now?

    LMI> All new groups will be subscribed on level 3 in the top-level topic.
    LMI> (That is, except for the groups that match some `subscription' topic
    LMI> parameter.)

Is there a way for me to have them subscribed at some other level so that
they will more eaily stand out as being new?

Is the top-level topic the 'Gnus' topic?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-21 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> Is there a way for me to have them subscribed at some other level so that
> they will more eaily stand out as being new?

`gnus-level-default-subscribed' says what level new groups are
subscribe at.