* Splitting mail
@ 1998-06-23  2:19 Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-06-23  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm trying to change my mail split to automatically add the month and
year to the end of each folder.

However rules of this format are ignored by nnmail-split-methods. Does
anyone know why?

((concat mail.misc. (format-time-string
 	       "%Y-%m" (current-time))) "^To:.*typhoon*")

(list (format-time-string "mail.misc-%m-%y") "^To:.*zcaceog*")

Thanks.
--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Splitting mail
@ 1998-06-23 15:16 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-06-23 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eze Ogwuma <typhoon@dircon.co.uk> writes:

> However rules of this format are ignored by nnmail-split-methods. Does
> anyone know why?

I can think of a couple of possibilities.

> ((concat mail.misc. (format-time-string
>  	       "%Y-%m" (current-time))) "^To:.*typhoon*")

You probably want double quotes around "mail.misc.", unless you have a
variable by that name and actually want its value.

> (list (format-time-string "mail.misc-%m-%y") "^To:.*zcaceog*")

This one looks okay on its own, but...

You don't show exactly how you are setting nnmail-split-methods.  The
typical way is by setq'ing it to a quoted list of lists.  If that is
what you are doing, the quoting may be preventing the evaluation of
your rules.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: Splitting mail
@ 1998-06-23 16:28   ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-06-23 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> Eze Ogwuma <typhoon@dircon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > However rules of this format are ignored by nnmail-split-methods. Does
> > anyone know why?
>
> I can think of a couple of possibilities.
>
> > ((concat mail.misc. (format-time-string
> >  	       "%Y-%m" (current-time))) "^To:.*typhoon*")
>
> You probably want double quotes around "mail.misc.", unless you have a
> variable by that name and actually want its value.

Sorry. I did try it with double quotes before sending the message (and
about 100 other permutations of quotes and brackets. Nothing seems to
work except for the plain (folder-name regexp) rules.

> > (list (format-time-string "mail.misc-%m-%y") "^To:.*zcaceog*")
>
> This one looks okay on its own, but...
>
> You don't show exactly how you are setting nnmail-split-methods.  The
> typical way is by setq'ing it to a quoted list of lists.  If that is
> what you are doing, the quoting may be preventing the evaluation of
> your rules.

Below are the start and finish of my normal mail split rules.

;; Split mail into groups
(setq nnmail-split-methods
	'(("redhat.digests.v97.p2" "^From: redhat-digest-request@redhat.com")
		("spam" "")))

--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Splitting mail
@ 1998-06-23 17:08     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1998-06-23 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Eze Ogwuma <typhoon@dircon.co.uk> writes:

> Below are the start and finish of my normal mail split rules.
>
> ;; Split mail into groups
> (setq nnmail-split-methods
> 	'(("redhat.digests.v97.p2" "^From: redhat-digest-request@redhat.com")
> 		("spam" "")))

Try something like this instead.  Quote (') will quote whatever you
write.

;; split mail according to theese regexps
(setq nnmail-split-methods
      (list
       '("sendfail"             "^From: Mail Delivery Subsystem")
       (list (format-time-string "private-%m-%y")
	     			"^\\(Apparently-To\\|ReSent-To\\|To\\|Cc\\):.*\\(Josefsson\\|jas@\\(nada\\|pdc\\).kth.se\\)")
       '("spam"                 "")))

/S

* Re: Splitting mail
@ 1998-06-24  0:11       ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-06-24  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

[...]

> Try something like this instead.  Quote (') will quote whatever you
> write.
>
> ;; split mail according to theese regexps
> (setq nnmail-split-methods
>       (list
>        '("sendfail"             "^From: Mail Delivery Subsystem")
>        (list (format-time-string "private-%m-%y")
> 	     			"^\\(Apparently-To\\|ReSent-To\\|To\\|Cc\\):.*\\(Josefsson\\|jas@\\(nada\\|pdc\\).kth.se\\)")
>        '("spam"                 "")))

This did the trick.

Thanks.
--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: splitting mail
@ 1999-01-28 22:58   ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-01-28 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Barring bugs in the new code, it's supposed to work as before.

Right, but those precise bugs seem to be present at the moment.  It
definitely does not work as before with the current pgnusae.

See my previous mail to this list and my recent mail to gnus-bug.

-Justin

* Re: splitting mail
@ 1999-01-28 19:54 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-28 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> So, I missed the outcome... just as I was about to switch from Q to P,
> I saw that my precious *.spool files would break.  (That is, I do *no*
> splitting in elisp... it's all done in procmail and Perl.) Will future
> P versions give back the old behavior?

Barring bugs in the new code, it's supposed to work as before.

* splitting mail
@ 1999-01-28 13:30 Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 1999-01-28 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, I missed the outcome... just as I was about to switch from Q to P,
I saw that my precious *.spool files would break.  (That is, I do *no*
splitting in elisp... it's all done in procmail and Perl.) Will future
P versions give back the old behavior?  Or do I need to do a lot of
special horsing around on conversion day now?

Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@teleport.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me