* Downloading problems
@ 1998-03-30  7:14 Mark Hovey
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark Hovey @ 1998-03-30  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Occasionally, when I download a new version of gnus and unpack it, emacs
will tell me that the .el file is older than the byte-compiled file.
This doesn't really matter, but is mildly annoying.  Is this problem
simply because Norway is several hours later than Connecticut?  Is there
anyway to fix it short of waiting 7 hours or whatever after Lars'
announcement to download gnus?
                      Mark Hovey

* Re: Downloading problems
@ 1998-03-30 11:36 ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-03-30 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Hovey <mhovey@wesleyan.edu> writes:
> Occasionally, when I download a new version of gnus and unpack it, emacs
> will tell me that the .el file is older than the byte-compiled file.

Try extracting with the -m option to tar.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen                                           "Woo hoo!?"

* Re: Downloading problems
@ 1998-03-30 22:44 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-30 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Hovey <mhovey@wesleyan.edu> writes:

> Occasionally, when I download a new version of gnus and unpack it, emacs
> will tell me that the .el file is older than the byte-compiled file.
> This doesn't really matter, but is mildly annoying.  Is this problem
> simply because Norway is several hours later than Connecticut?  Is there
> anyway to fix it short of waiting 7 hours or whatever after Lars'
> announcement to download gnus?

Mine come up the other way around.  With .el files showing newer than
byte compiled files and causes gnus to load the 'newer'.el files at
times.

I have found just 'touching' them does the job.

# touch /gnus.5.6.x/lisp/*.elc

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: Downloading problems
@ 1998-04-01 13:58 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-01 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Hovey <mhovey@wesleyan.edu> writes:

> Occasionally, when I download a new version of gnus and unpack it, emacs
> will tell me that the .el file is older than the byte-compiled file.

Why would Emacs tell you that?  That is how it should be, isn't it?

* Re: Downloading problems
@ 1998-04-01 13:59   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-01 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Mine come up the other way around.  With .el files showing newer than
> byte compiled files and causes gnus to load the 'newer'.el files at
> times.

So the .el files have timestamps that are in the future?

* Re: Downloading problems
@ 1998-04-01 14:57     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-04-01 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Mine come up the other way around.  With .el files showing newer than
> > byte compiled files and causes gnus to load the 'newer'.el files at
> > times.
>
> So the .el files have timestamps that are in the future?

Yes, At least in relation to my machine.  This happened with a couple of
the later quassia releases.  I only noticed it accidently by looking at
the messages buffer where there were messages saying gnus was loading .el
files because they were newer.  Rather than get too involved figuring out
what was what, I just 'touched the .elc files and the messages went
away.

May have been related to having my machine time setup incorrectly.
Some time in the recent past I did do some tinkering with time
configurations.   And as with all aspects of Linux, I didn't know what I
was doing very well, so botched it up several times.  Not sure if this
might be related though.

Sorry I didn't check into it further.  Once I discovered 'touching' .elc
files fixed it, I felt I was swamped enough with trying to learn all
this other new stuff.  At any rate it hasn't happened again since about
quassia 35 or so.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-24 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > So the .el files have timestamps that are in the future?
>
> Yes, At least in relation to my machine.

It is quite possible that the date on this machine may have been
wobbly.  What does one use to keep the date stable, anyway?

* Re: Downloading problems
@ 1998-04-24 19:09         ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1998-04-24 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (24-Apr-98) Re: Downloading problems by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> What does one use to keep the date stable, anyway?

You need an NTP daemon. I recommend xntpd.

Glad to see your still alive, Lars! I was honestly starting to get worried
since it's been so long since you've posted. Welcome back...

Later,
Ed

* Re: Downloading problems
@ 1998-04-24 19:41           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-24 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> Glad to see your still alive, Lars! I was honestly starting to get worried
> since it's been so long since you've posted. Welcome back...

I don't know if being a stock broker¹ can actually be called being
"alive".  Well, ok, it's a form of life, but not as we know it.

¹) Only semi-kidding.  I actually sold two lots yesterday at the stock
exchange.  No, wait, I bought.  No, hang on.  I sold, and then I
bought.  I get so confuzed.