* BBDB and Gnus
@ 2011-05-15 16:23 Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2011-05-15 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, bbdb-info

I thought I want to write this email to the Gnus (and BBDB) mailing
list to announce more formally to the Gnus developpers that recently
BBDB has gone through a major re-write with the ultimate goal to
make the new BBDB v3 part of GNU Emacs.

I believe that Gnus is one of the emacs packages that interfaces
with BBDB in a more sophisticated way. It would be great if Gnus
could be updated to work (also) with BBDB v3. During the re-write of
BBDB, various functions have changed their names and calling
sequences. This has made the new code more clean, powerful, and
up-to-date. Yet making BBDB v3 work with Gnus will require some
attention. (It is an item on the todo list for BBDB v3 to provide a
more complete list of how things have changed from BBDB v2 to v3.
This should facilitate the update for Gnus.)

Currently BBDB v3 is in an alpha stage. While I'd like to declare
soon that it has reached a beta stage, it was probably good if
already now someone familiar with Gnus' interface to BBDB could take
a look into this so that we could try to make sure that the new BBDB
can work with Gnus as smoothly as possible. (Various add-ons for
BBDB v2 had to go through some pain to work as intended by advicing
BBDB functions and things like that. With BBDB v3 I tried to clean
up and simplify these things; and various add-ons for BBDB v2 are
already incorporated into v3 in one or the other way. It would
probably be good if the needs of Gnus could be incorporated into the
new BBDB before we declare that BBDB v3 has reached a beta stage.)

Roland

* Re: BBDB and Gnus
@ 2011-05-16 10:49 ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2011-05-16 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Winkler; +Cc: ding, bbdb-info

"Roland Winkler" <winkler@gnu.org> writes:
> I thought I want to write this email to the Gnus (and BBDB) mailing
> list to announce more formally to the Gnus developpers that recently
> BBDB has gone through a major re-write with the ultimate goal to
> make the new BBDB v3 part of GNU Emacs.
>
> I believe that Gnus is one of the emacs packages that interfaces
> with BBDB in a more sophisticated way. It would be great if Gnus
> could be updated to work (also) with BBDB v3. During the re-write of
> BBDB, various functions have changed their names and calling
> sequences. This has made the new code more clean, powerful, and
> up-to-date. Yet making BBDB v3 work with Gnus will require some
> attention. (It is an item on the todo list for BBDB v3 to provide a
> more complete list of how things have changed from BBDB v2 to v3.
> This should facilitate the update for Gnus.)
>
> Currently BBDB v3 is in an alpha stage. While I'd like to declare
> soon that it has reached a beta stage, it was probably good if
> already now someone familiar with Gnus' interface to BBDB could take
> a look into this so that we could try to make sure that the new BBDB
> can work with Gnus as smoothly as possible. (Various add-ons for
> BBDB v2 had to go through some pain to work as intended by advicing
> BBDB functions and things like that. With BBDB v3 I tried to clean
> up and simplify these things; and various add-ons for BBDB v2 are
> already incorporated into v3 in one or the other way. It would
> probably be good if the needs of Gnus could be incorporated into the
> new BBDB before we declare that BBDB v3 has reached a beta stage.)
>
> Roland

Hi Roland,

bbdb certainly needed some love. Thanks for pursuing this further.

FYI, if there are 'API' changes in your bbdb package, eudc-bbdb.el (in
emacs) might/will need changes too.

I would love to see bbdb as part of ELPA, if not in emacs directly.

Best Regards
Leonidas Tsampros

* Re: BBDB and Gnus
@ 2011-05-30 18:51 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-05-30 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bbdb-info; +Cc: ding

"Roland Winkler" <winkler@gnu.org> writes:

> I thought I want to write this email to the Gnus (and BBDB) mailing
> list to announce more formally to the Gnus developpers that recently
> BBDB has gone through a major re-write with the ultimate goal to
> make the new BBDB v3 part of GNU Emacs.

Great!

> Currently BBDB v3 is in an alpha stage. While I'd like to declare
> soon that it has reached a beta stage, it was probably good if
> already now someone familiar with Gnus' interface to BBDB could take
> a look into this so that we could try to make sure that the new BBDB
> can work with Gnus as smoothly as possible.

I don't use BBDB myself, but quite a few Gnus users do, I think.  So I
think people who use both things will probably chip in as things settle
down.