* Summary buffer only shows first 2 characters of poster's id
@ 2002-12-12 22:16 Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 2002-12-12 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have just built the latest CVS emacs & gnus and now the summary
buffer is only showing the first 2 characters of the poster's name.

gnus-summary-line-format is set to "%U%R%ub%z %5i%I%(%[%4L:
%-20.20n%]%) %s\n" and has not been changed for some while.

* Re: Summary buffer only shows first 2 characters of poster's id
@ 2002-12-13  4:46 ` kgreiner
From: kgreiner @ 2002-12-13  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I have just built the latest CVS emacs & gnus and now the summary
> buffer is only showing the first 2 characters of the poster's name.
>
> gnus-summary-line-format is set to "%U%R%ub%z %5i%I%(%[%4L:
> %-20.20n%]%) %s\n" and has not been changed for some while.

I tried your format and, aside from having to create a dummy
gnus-user-format-function-b, had no problems.

The last two entries using your format looked like:
! function-b      0[  13:Juha Autero         ] Problems with Oort Gnus and posting styles
! function-b      0[   7:Graham Murray       ] Summary buffer only shows first 2 characters of poster's id

Kevin

* Re: Summary buffer only shows first 2 characters of poster's id
@ 2002-12-13 11:19 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-13 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I have just built the latest CVS emacs & gnus and now the summary
> buffer is only showing the first 2 characters of the poster's name.

In Emacs CVS, the format function has changed its handling of %s.  I
wonder whether that's relevant?  Do you see something similar if you
invoke (format "%-20.20s" "some long string goes here")?

* Re: Summary buffer only shows first 2 characters of poster's id
@ 2002-12-13 18:50   ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 2002-12-13 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> In Emacs CVS, the format function has changed its handling of %s.  I
> wonder whether that's relevant?  Do you see something similar if you
> invoke (format "%-20.20s" "some long string goes here")?

That evaluates to "some long string goe" which looks good.

Taking that as a hint, I changed my gnus-summary-line-format to
replace the "%-20.20n" by "%n" and the complete name is shown again
(but, of course, not truncated to 20 chars as before")

* Re: Summary buffer only shows first 2 characters of poster's id
@ 2002-12-13 20:29     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-12-13 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Taking that as a hint, I changed my gnus-summary-line-format to
> replace the "%-20.20n" by "%n" and the complete name is shown again
                   ^
Note that the numbers should be separated by comma not a full stop.
Perhaps "%20,20n" solves the problem.

* Re: Summary buffer only shows first 2 characters of poster's id
@ 2002-12-14 12:53       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-14 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Taking that as a hint, I changed my gnus-summary-line-format to
>> replace the "%-20.20n" by "%n" and the complete name is shown again
>                    ^
> Note that the numbers should be separated by comma not a full stop.
> Perhaps "%20,20n" solves the problem.

How could I miss that :-/

* Re: Summary buffer only shows first 2 characters of poster's id
@ 2002-12-14 13:39       ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 2002-12-14 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Note that the numbers should be separated by comma not a full stop.
> Perhaps "%20,20n" solves the problem.

Thanks, that now works fine. Obviously my format string had been
wrong for a long time but only recent emacs changes detected the
error.