* Control CTE with Gcc
@ 2000-02-08 14:20 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-02-08 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some people write copies of their mail with Gcc.  For people using
iso-8859, mails with non-ascii characters may be encoded qp or base64,
depending on their content.  This is suboptimal for searching in the
mails; for this application one needs a consistent encoding of all text
parts, and 8bit encoding is probably best.

WIBNI it was possible to tell Gnus to write all text/* parts using a
specific encoding with Gcc?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Control CTE with Gcc
@ 2000-04-20 22:57 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Some people write copies of their mail with Gcc.  For people using
> iso-8859, mails with non-ascii characters may be encoded qp or base64,
> depending on their content.  This is suboptimal for searching in the
> mails; for this application one needs a consistent encoding of all text
> parts, and 8bit encoding is probably best.
>
> WIBNI it was possible to tell Gnus to write all text/* parts using a
> specific encoding with Gcc?

The encoding is done by `gnus-inews-do-gcc', so it's feasible to do
stuff to control the encoding.  But would that be useful?  If you're
searching mails, you should be using nnir or glimpse or Gnus or
something; not grep.  That is, the same tools you use for searching
through mail you've received from other places should be the tools you
use to search through mails generated by yourself.

* Re: Control CTE with Gcc
@ 2000-04-21  9:55   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-21  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...] The encoding is done by `gnus-inews-do-gcc', so it's feasible
> to do stuff to control the encoding.  But would that be useful?  If
> you're searching mails, you should be using nnir or glimpse or Gnus
> or something; not grep.  That is, the same tools you use for
> searching through mail you've received from other places should be
> the tools you use to search through mails generated by yourself.

You're right.  I completely missed that one.  Hm.  Maybe it would be
useful for Gnus to be able to re-encode text/* parts when receiving
mail, too.  Hm.

Maybe the tool used to search mail should grok MIME, but I don't think
that's the case right now.  Neither grep nor glimpse do so, as far as
I know, and freeWAIS-sf doesn't, either.  (We could, however,
implement the necessary feature in the successor of freeWAIS-sf.)

Hm.  *scratches head*

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: Control CTE with Gcc
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-21 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe the tool used to search mail should grok MIME, but I don't think
> that's the case right now.  Neither grep nor glimpse do so, as far as
> I know, and freeWAIS-sf doesn't, either.  (We could, however,
> implement the necessary feature in the successor of freeWAIS-sf.)

I think that will be increasingly necessary as more and more mail uses
non-8bit encodings.