* Async NNTP code disabled for now
@ 2011-02-09 18:06 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-09 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Since there have been several reports of the NNTP async code not working
now, and I'm on a road trip, I've disabled the code for now.

Let's try again when I get back to civilisation.

* Re: Async NNTP code disabled for now
@ 2011-02-14 21:44 ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2011-02-14 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

LI> Since there have been several reports of the NNTP async code not
LI> working now, and I'm on a road trip, I've disabled the code for now.

I determined that the lock-up I got was due to leafnode timing out
before nnimap finished its startup.  My leafnode had been configured
to timeout after five minutes of idle time (the default, I beleive);
increasing that timeout to 20 minutes allowed gnus to finish its init.

The bug seems to be that with the async code gnus cannot deal with the
other side of an nntp session closing the socket.  At least not while
gnus is still on its first iteration through its list of servers.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: Async NNTP code disabled for now
@ 2011-02-14 22:12   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-14 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> The bug seems to be that with the async code gnus cannot deal with the
> other side of an nntp session closing the socket.  At least not while
> gnus is still on its first iteration through its list of servers.

Right.  That sounds likely.

* Re: Async NNTP code disabled for now
@ 2011-02-15 18:16     ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2011-02-15 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

JC> The bug seems to be that with the async code gnus cannot deal with the
JC> other side of an nntp session closing the socket.  At least not while
JC> gnus is still on its first iteration through its list of servers.

LI> Right.  That sounds likely.

Which means you should be able to replicate it by setting some nntp
server you use to time out idle conenctions after one second or so.
Or maybe after just a few centiseconds?

-JimC
--

@ 2011-02-18 23:21       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-18 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> Which means you should be able to replicate it by setting some nntp
> server you use to time out idle conenctions after one second or so.
> Or maybe after just a few centiseconds?

Yup.  I haven't had time to look into this properly yet.  The past few
days have been unexpectedly busy...