* "Can't read partial active file"
@ 2004-01-09 15:39 David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2004-01-09 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

After updating Gnus from CVS this morning and byte-recompiling it with
Gnu Emacs, when I start it up I get the following sequence of messages
in my *messages* buffer:

  Compiling format specs...
  Compiling user specs...done
  Reading c:/cygwin/home/dave/.newsrc.eld...
  Reading active file from www.stlport.com via nnimap...
  Cannot read partial active file from nnimap server.
  Reading active file from news.rcn.com via nntp...
  Opening nntp server on news.rcn.com...done
  Cannot read partial active file from nntp server.
  Reading active file from news.gmane.org via nntp...
  Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done
  Cannot read partial active file from nntp server.
  Checking new news...done
  No gnus is bad news
  No more unread newsgroups

And the groups display comes up looking wrong (lots of *s in the
left-hand column).  Any clues?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: "Can't read partial active file"
@ 2004-01-09 17:38 ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2004-01-09 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> After updating Gnus from CVS this morning and byte-recompiling it with
> Gnu Emacs, when I start it up I get the following sequence of messages
> in my *messages* buffer:
>
>   Compiling format specs...
>   Compiling user specs...done
>   Reading c:/cygwin/home/dave/.newsrc.eld...
>   Reading active file from www.stlport.com via nnimap...
>   Cannot read partial active file from nnimap server.
>   Reading active file from news.rcn.com via nntp...
>   Opening nntp server on news.rcn.com...done
>   Cannot read partial active file from nntp server.
>   Reading active file from news.gmane.org via nntp...
>   Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done
>   Cannot read partial active file from nntp server.
>   Checking new news...done
>   No gnus is bad news
>   No more unread newsgroups
>
> And the groups display comes up looking wrong (lots of *s in the
> left-hand column).  Any clues?

Note: this makes Gnus completely unusable under Gnu emacs; I can't
enter any groups.  It works great under XEmacs, though.  What could
the problem be?

--

@ 2004-01-09 20:50   ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2004-01-09 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Abrahams

|--==> "DA" == David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

  DA> David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
  >>After updating Gnus from CVS this morning and byte-recompiling it with

[...]

  DA> Note: this makes Gnus completely unusable under Gnu emacs; I can't
  DA> enter any groups.  It works great under XEmacs, though.  What could
  DA> the problem be?

I don't know if any of what I'm about to mention will fix your
problems, but I'd like to point out a couple of things that I hope you
are already aware of...

  o When building Gnus you should always do so via `make'.  By just
    byte-recompiling the lisp directory you will, amongst other
    things, be missing out on re-building the autoloads (which could
    have changed since your last build).

  o A Gnus built with GNU/Emacs _*CAN NOT*_ be used in XEmacs and vice
    verse.  The two Emacsen generate different incompatible
    byte-code. [1]

  o If there are things in contrib/ that you want, symlink, copy, or
    move them into the lisp/ directory prior to running `make'.

Footnotes:
[1]  If you run both GNU/Emacs and XEmacs their respective load-path's
     shouldn't overlap.  Or if you do have directories common to both
     Emacsen's load-path, those directories shouldn't contain any
     byte-compiled lisp.  It's just not worth the trouble.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|              Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.               |

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 256 bytes --]

* Re: "Can't read partial active file"
@ 2004-01-10  1:36     ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2004-01-10  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs <sryoungs@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> |--==> "DA" == David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
>   DA> David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
>   >>After updating Gnus from CVS this morning and byte-recompiling it with
>
> [...]
>
>   DA> Note: this makes Gnus completely unusable under Gnu emacs; I can't
>   DA> enter any groups.  It works great under XEmacs, though.  What could
>   DA> the problem be?
>
> I don't know if any of what I'm about to mention will fix your
> problems, but I'd like to point out a couple of things that I hope you
> are already aware of...
>
>   o When building Gnus you should always do so via `make'.  By just
>     byte-recompiling the lisp directory you will, amongst other
>     things, be missing out on re-building the autoloads (which could
>     have changed since your last build).
>
>   o A Gnus built with GNU/Emacs _*CAN NOT*_ be used in XEmacs and vice
>     verse.  The two Emacsen generate different incompatible
>     byte-code. [1]

I haven't been using make, but I have been using two separate gnus CVS
images for Gnu and X emacs in order to keep the bytecode separate.
It's always worked until now.

Is there a make command I can use to build Gnus for non-Cygwin
installations of [X]emacs on Windows?

--

@ 2004-01-10  2:10       ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-10  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Is there a make command I can use to build Gnus for non-Cygwin
> installations of [X]emacs on Windows?

make.bat (?)