* Re: bug#464: 23.0.60; [Regression] Implicit utf-8 no longer correctly decoded in gnus
@ 2008-07-03 21:29 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2008-07-03 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 464; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, ding

|> I haven't hit on a utf-8 quoted-printable so am not yet sure whether
|> those work, but I suspect they would.

Just hit a qp and, indeed, they do work.

So it is in fact only mail with Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit which
now fail, but which used to work as of four to eight weeks ago, or so.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: bug#464: 23.0.60; [Regression] Implicit utf-8 no longer correctly decoded in gnus
@ 2010-09-30 17:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-30 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cloos; +Cc: 464-close, Stefan Monnier, ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> So it is in fact only mail with Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit which
> now fail, but which used to work as of four to eight weeks ago, or so.

I'm unable to reproduce this bug with Emacs 24 -- utf-8, 8bit
Content-Transfer-Encoding and no charset= works for me.

* Re: bug#464: 23.0.60; [Regression] Implicit utf-8 no longer correctly decoded in gnus
@ 2008-07-03 21:08 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2008-07-03 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 464; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, ding

I figured out the difference.

If the mail has a transfer encoding of base64 it works correctly.  If it
is 8bit the decoding fails.  I haven't hit on a utf-8 quoted-printable
so am not yet sure whether those work, but I suspect they would.

This suggests the unibyte vs multibyte change that occurred a few weeks
back is the culprit.

The raw message probably needs to be multibyte iff the encoding is 8bit
and the charset is anything which might use more than 8 bits per
character, including at least the utf encodings of the UCS and the
various CJK character sets.

I'll try out (imap-disable-multibyte)¹ and (set-buffer-multibyte) to see
whether those make any difference on such emails.

-JimC

1] Incidently, it seems odd that (imap-disable-multibyte)'s help text
   says that it will:  "Enable multibyte in the current buffer."

--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6