* No "sender" line, bogus "Return-Path"
@ 1999-04-14 16:22 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-04-14 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my regular account on a single user dialup machine, I have squelched
generation of a "Sender:" line with:
(setq message-syntax-checks '((sender . disabled))) due to problems
that arise with dynamically allocated IP addresses.

Have sendmail set to masquerade as my ISPs mail machine and to
masquerade the "envelope".  All seems to work fine.

I use dummy accounts to experiment with trial setups of gnus and other
software. Most recently a dummy account called "exp" with a semi
minimal .emacs and .gnus.

Mail sent from that account's instance of gnus uses the proper "From"
address as per a lisp line in its .emacs:
    (setq user-mail-address "reader@newsguy.com")

I sent (to myself) and retrieved several  test messages.  The
retrieved (with fetchmail from pop server) messages display an  X-from
and "Return-Path:" line like so:
>From exp@newsguy.com  Wed Apr 14 09:09:46 1999

Both of which are correct given my setup, but far as I know the
"Return-Path" header is actually illegal since it can not be resolved
or mailed to from the Internet.

Should be "reader@newsguy.com"

I see no "Sender:" line though, it would seem, this should also be
generated and show the origins of the message.

This account has nothing in .emacs or gnus to suppress a "Sender"

My questions:

1) Why no "Sender"

2) How can I make this instance of gnus generate a legal Return-Path?
Or is that done somewhere else in the chain of events?
--
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Running Redhat Linux 5.2

* Re: No "sender" line, bogus "Return-Path"
@ 1999-04-17  8:05 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-17  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 2) How can I make this instance of gnus generate a legal Return-Path?
> Or is that done somewhere else in the chain of events?

Gnus doesn't generate Return-Path -- some other part of the mail
sending/delivering chain is doing that.