* posting styles and regexps in variables
@ 1998-11-27 11:15 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-11-27 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pterodactyl Gnus v0.54, XEmacs 20.4 "Emerald" [Lucid] (i386-pc-linux)

I tried to use variables holding regexps in gnus-posting-styles, but
it looks like a variable symbol always evaluates to true:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
	 (signature-file "~/.signature")
	 (organization "NCR METIS"))
	(mc-newsgroups
	 (address "sb@dod.no")
	 (organization "Denizens of Doom, Norway Chapter"))
	(private-newsgroups
	 (address "steinar@bang.priv.no")
	 (organization "Anarchists Guild"))
;	(hobby-newsgroups
;	 (signature-file "~/.signature-hobby"))
	))

In this case, the last setting of signature-file and address is the
one always chosen.  When I had an X-Home-Page setting in the three
uncommented entries, all three headers showed up in the message
buffer.

Is there a way to evaluate what a variable symbol refers to as a
string/regexp?  Or do I have to work with naked strings here?

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: posting styles and regexps in variables
@ 1998-11-28  0:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-28  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <steinar@bang.priv.no> writes:

> Is there a way to evaluate what a variable symbol refers to as a
> string/regexp?  Or do I have to work with naked strings here?

There has to be strings there when Gnus looks at the variable.

* Re: posting styles and regexps in variables
@ 1998-11-30  8:18   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-11-30  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <steinar@bang.priv.no> writes:
>> Is there a way to evaluate what a variable symbol refers to as a
>> string/regexp?  Or do I have to work with naked strings here?

> There has to be strings there when Gnus looks at the variable.

Umm...?  Meaning what?  That I have to use some function to build
gnus-posting-styles?  Or can I use some sort of evaluation on the
variable symbols?

Something like this, perhaps...?

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
	 (signature-file "~/.signature")
	 (organization "NCR METIS"))
	((eval mc-newsgroups)
	 (address "sb@dod.no")
	 (organization "Denizens of Doom, Norway Chapter"))
	((eval private-newsgroups)
	 (address "steinar@bang.priv.no")
	 (organization "Anarchists Guild"))
	((eval hobby-newsgroups)

@ 1998-11-30 12:35     ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-11-30 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

  > (setq gnus-posting-styles
  >       '((".*"
  > 	 (signature-file "~/.signature")
  > 	 (organization "NCR METIS"))
  > 	((eval mc-newsgroups)
  > 	 (address "sb@dod.no")
  > 	 (organization "Denizens of Doom, Norway Chapter"))
  > 	((eval private-newsgroups)
  > 	 (address "steinar@bang.priv.no")
  > 	 (organization "Anarchists Guild"))
  > 	((eval hobby-newsgroups)
  > 	 (signature-file "~/.signature-hobby"))
  > 	))

How about this?

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      `((".*"
         (signature-file "~/.signature)
         (organization "NCR METIS"))
        (,mc-newsgroups
         (address "sb@dod.no")
         (organization "Denizens of Doom, Norway Chapter"))
        (,private-newsgroups
         (address "steinar@bang.priv.no")
         (organization "Anarchists Guild"))
        (,hobby-newsgroups
         (signature-file "~/.signature-hobby"))))

Note the ` and the , ...

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.