* more whining from a procmail weenie
@ 1999-02-02  4:45 Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-02-02  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Okay.

So now (as of 0.75) I am able to fetch mail from my procmail spools
under the new mail-fetching scheme.  Whee.

However, this has resulted in a significant change in user-end
behavior.  One of the reasons that I use procmail instead of Gnus for
my filtering is so that my mail is already sorted at the moment that I
wish to read it.

I might sit at my desk after being away for a period of hours and want
to read a message in a certain group immediately.

Under the old system, I would press M-g over that nnml group, Gnus
would slurp in the appropriate spool file, and I would read happily.

Now, however, with an nnmail-spool-file of:

((directory :path "/afs/rcf/user/justin/Mail/incoming" :suffix ""))

Gnus insists on reading all files in that directory if it is to read
any at all.  So, if I have been away for a while and now want to read
a specific group, I must wait for all mail in all groups to be
incorporated.

An example:  I press M-g over nnml:inbox, and the following occurs:

nnml: Reading incoming mail from directory...
Wrote /afs/rcf/user/justin/Mail/nnml/ding/9410
Wrote /afs/rcf/user/justin/Mail/nnml/nedod/17161
[elided]
nnml: Reading incoming mail...done

Icky.

-Justin

* Re: more whining from a procmail weenie
@ 1999-02-02 21:21 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-02 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> Gnus insists on reading all files in that directory if it is to read
> any at all.  So, if I have been away for a while and now want to read
> a specific group, I must wait for all mail in all groups to be
> incorporated.

Yes, and that might not be good.  I don't quite see anyway to fit that
into the new scheme without doing some horrible hacks, but perhaps I
could add a :predicate keyword that `nnmail-get-new-mail' would fill
out when doing `directory' mail sources and called with a group name.
*erk*  Well, ok, that's also ugly, but that should contain the
ugliness to a single function, at least...

* Re: more whining from a procmail weenie
@ 1999-04-17 17:07   ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 1999-04-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:
>> Gnus insists on reading all files in that directory if it is to read
>> any at all.  So, if I have been away for a while and now want to read
>> a specific group, I must wait for all mail in all groups to be
>> incorporated.

Lars> Yes, and that might not be good.  I don't quite see anyway to fit that
Lars> into the new scheme without doing some horrible hacks, but perhaps I
Lars> could add a :predicate keyword that `nnmail-get-new-mail' would fill
Lars> out when doing `directory' mail sources and called with a group name.
Lars> *erk*  Well, ok, that's also ugly, but that should contain the
Lars> ugliness to a single function, at least...

Did this ever happen?  I would miss the ability to Meta-G a single
mail group.  I'm thinking of switching to P any day now, but not until
my favorite mechanisms all still work.  (I'm not an early adopter...
just a late-early adopter. :)

Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@teleport.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

* Re: more whining from a procmail weenie
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-17 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> Did this ever happen?  I would miss the ability to Meta-G a single
> mail group.

It didn't happen quite that way, but I think `M-g' now works as
before.  It's supposed to, at least.

* Re: more whining from a procmail weenie
@ 1999-04-19 18:15     ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-04-19 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> Did this ever happen?  I would miss the ability to Meta-G a single
> mail group.

Thankfully, this now works.  I do this constantly.  :-)

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.