* recovering original Message-ids from gmane messages
@ 2010-12-09 22:07 Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2010-12-09 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello world,

I'm reading lots of lists through gmane, including debian lists. I
usually report spam messages to gmane using the builtin gnus functions,
and would like to also report them to debian for debian lists.

The way to do that is to bounce those messages to a specific debian
address, where they go through a script that probably does black magic
to remove those spams from the list archive.

That script actually just extracts the message-id from the spam, and
uses it to identify the target for said black magic.

Bouncing is easily accomplished when one receives the mailing lists
through mail, gnus has everything needed in spam.el.

But gmane adds a gmane-specific part to the Message-ids, which makes
them useless for reporting purpose. Would it be possible to configure
gnus to strip those gmane-specific parts before bouncing the messages?

Thanks,
--
Rémi

* Re: recovering original Message-ids from gmane messages
@ 2010-12-16 17:16 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-16 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:

> But gmane adds a gmane-specific part to the Message-ids, which makes
> them useless for reporting purpose. Would it be possible to configure
> gnus to strip those gmane-specific parts before bouncing the messages?

Gmane puts the original Message-ID in the Original-Message-ID header, if
I recall correctly.  But dropping the __.* stuff from the ids should be
simple enough, although that would be very Gmane-specific...

* Re: recovering original Message-ids from gmane messages
@ 2010-12-16 20:12   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2010-12-16 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:
>
>> But gmane adds a gmane-specific part to the Message-ids, which makes
>> them useless for reporting purpose. Would it be possible to configure
>> gnus to strip those gmane-specific parts before bouncing the messages?
>
> Gmane puts the original Message-ID in the Original-Message-ID header, if
> I recall correctly.  But dropping the __.* stuff from the ids should be
> simple enough, although that would be very Gmane-specific...

Hm, I don't understand.

I'm using Gmane for ding mailing list and I don't see any Message-Id
renaming.

For example looking at the Message-Id of your article gives:

which looks correct.

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: recovering original Message-ids from gmane messages
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-16 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using Gmane for ding mailing list and I don't see any Message-Id
> renaming.

Renaming only happens when there's Message-ID collisions, which usually
only happens when messages are sent to several mailing lists.

* Re: recovering original Message-ids from gmane messages
@ 2010-12-16 20:29       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2010-12-16 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm using Gmane for ding mailing list and I don't see any Message-Id
>> renaming.
>
> Renaming only happens when there's Message-ID collisions, which usually
> only happens when messages are sent to several mailing lists.

Do you mean that Message-Id must be unique accross all mailing lists
hosted by Gmane ? If so, why ?

--
Francis

* Re: recovering original Message-ids from gmane messages
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-16 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Do you mean that Message-Id must be unique accross all mailing lists
> hosted by Gmane ? If so, why ?

A message-id can only be posted once to a news server.

* Re: recovering original Message-ids from gmane messages
@ 2010-12-16 21:11           ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2010-12-16 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Do you mean that Message-Id must be unique accross all mailing lists
>> hosted by Gmane ? If so, why ?
>
> A message-id can only be posted once to a news server.

ok, that means that there's no group information in the message-id...

--
Francis

* Re: recovering original Message-ids from gmane messages
@ 2010-12-16 21:49           ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2010-12-16 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Do you mean that Message-Id must be unique accross all mailing lists
>> hosted by Gmane ? If so, why ?
>
> A message-id can only be posted once to a news server.

Not to complain or anything, but why aren't such messages cross posted
instead?

Bjørn

* Re: recovering original Message-ids from gmane messages
@ 2010-12-17 16:38             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-17 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> writes:

> Not to complain or anything, but why aren't such messages cross posted
> instead?

They are if Gmane is able to determine ahead of time that they should
be.  Crossposting isn't possible post-hoc with inn.