* Control-G to kill mailcap program?
@ 2004-01-18  6:38 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-01-18  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the following line in my mailcap file (the one that Gnus uses):

  image/*; /usr/bin/display %s

When I receive a message with image attachments, they're buttonized, and
when I select any of them, the /usr/bin/display program properly
displays them.

However, the only way I can get rid of one of these displayed images is
to give that image focus, and then to issue the keystroke or menu
selection that causes the "display" program to quit.

I remember that some time ago in Gnus, I could hit Control-G from the
Gnus window, and it would cause a signal to get set to the
image-displaying program, thereby killing it.  But that doesn't work
these days.

I know that this isn't a function of the "display" program, itself.  The
same thing happens no matter what program I use to display the image.

Is there some configuration setting for Gnus that will cause it to send
a signal to the image-display program when Control-G is typed?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Control-G to kill mailcap program?
@ 2004-01-18 23:13 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-18 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> However, the only way I can get rid of one of these displayed images is
> to give that image focus, and then to issue the keystroke or menu
> selection that causes the "display" program to quit.

The viewer is killed if you select a different article (or the same
article again).

* Re: Control-G to kill mailcap program?
@ 2004-01-18 23:49   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-01-18 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
>> However, the only way I can get rid of one of these displayed images is
>> to give that image focus, and then to issue the keystroke or menu
>> selection that causes the "display" program to quit.
>
> The viewer is killed if you select a different article (or the same
> article again).

But I can't select another article, because keystrokes and mouse clicks
to Gnus are getting blocked when the external viewer is running.

I'm going to dig through the code and see if I can find a way to
reinstate the earlier Control-G functionality.  If so, I'll post a
patch.  I'll make it so the old functionality will only be in
effect if some sort of configuration variable is set.

--

@ 2004-01-19  0:56     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-19  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:
>
>> The viewer is killed if you select a different article (or the same
>> article again).
>
> But I can't select another article, because keystrokes and mouse clicks
> to Gnus are getting blocked when the external viewer is running.

That's a bug.  It doesn't happen for me.

* Re: Control-G to kill mailcap program?
@ 2004-01-19  1:49       ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-01-19  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
>> Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:
>>
>>> The viewer is killed if you select a different article (or the same
>>> article again).
>>
>> But I can't select another article, because keystrokes and mouse clicks
>> to Gnus are getting blocked when the external viewer is running.
>
> That's a bug.  It doesn't happen for me.

Are you running under GNU Emacs or XEmacs?  I'm running under GNU Emacs
21.2.1, and I have a very recent CVS of Gnus.

What variables/settings could affect this behavior?

--

@ 2004-01-20  6:02         ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-20  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Are you running under GNU Emacs or XEmacs?

GNU Emacs from CVS.

(BTW, it's useful to display the User-Agent header in Gnus related
groups, then you always know people are using).

* Re: Control-G to kill mailcap program?
@ 2004-01-20 20:57           ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-01-20 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
>> Are you running under GNU Emacs or XEmacs?
>
> GNU Emacs from CVS.
>
> (BTW, it's useful to display the User-Agent header in Gnus related
> groups, then you always know people are using).

Yeah, I forgot to look at your User-Agent header.

So now the mystery is why you don't have this problem and I do, even
though we are both running recent versions of Gnus and GNU Emacs.

Does anyone know what variables might control how Gnus or Emacs responds
to keystrokes when an external viewer is running?

Thanks.

--

@ 2004-01-25  4:31             ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-25  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> So now the mystery is why you don't have this problem and I do, even
> though we are both running recent versions of Gnus and GNU Emacs.

What does

     (pp (mailcap-mime-info "image/png" 'all))

return?

* Re: Control-G to kill mailcap program?
@ 2004-01-25  4:46               ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-01-25  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
>> So now the mystery is why you don't have this problem and I do, even
>> though we are both running recent versions of Gnus and GNU Emacs.
>
> What does
>
>      (pp (mailcap-mime-info "image/png" 'all))
>
> return?

Here's what it returns.  It seems kind of weird to me:

  (((viewer . "/usr/bin/display %s")
    (type . "image/*"))
   ((viewer . "display %s")
    (type . "image/*")
    (test eq window-system 'x)
    ("needsx11"))
   ((viewer . "ee %s")
    (type . "image/*")
    (test eq window-system 'x)
    ("needsx11")))

Thanks.

--

@ 2004-01-29  1:37                 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-29  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Here's what it returns.  It seems kind of weird to me:
>
>   (((viewer . "/usr/bin/display %s")
>     (type . "image/*"))

It looks OK to me.  I'm out of ideas.

Try to edebug `mm-display-external' and see at which line Emacs
freezes.

* Re: Control-G to kill mailcap program?
@ 2004-02-05 12:02                   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-02-05 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
>> Here's what it returns.  It seems kind of weird to me:
>>
>>   (((viewer . "/usr/bin/display %s")
>>     (type . "image/*"))
>
> It looks OK to me.  I'm out of ideas.
>
> Try to edebug `mm-display-external' and see at which line Emacs
> freezes.

I'll give it a try this evening when I'm back at home, and I'll
report my findings.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com