* Colorized and cleaned Buttons
@ 2003-01-13  0:33 Julien Avarre
From: Julien Avarre @ 2003-01-13  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Whereas, I don't use the tool-bar-mode, I found Gnus buttons not very sexy.
So Sunday, I tried to colorize and cleaning some.

You can see a gallery on :

http://megarezo.org/perso/eole/gnus/images.html

Larsi said to be careful with the colors' number. I've tried on Gnu
Emacs 21.3.50 and it seems to be OK.

I think those buttons should be all remade from scratch, but I haven't
the time for that. I'm quite overbooked this days, so I'll try to make
them assorted together.

Any suggestions ?

--
Julien ``Eole'' Avarre
julien@avarre.com

* Re: Colorized and cleaned Buttons
@ 2003-01-13  1:01 ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-01-13  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

 JA> Any suggestions ?

A really nice job!

But XEmacs buttons are 3D ones. This looks great, but IMHO,
unfortunately, not on the toobar.

If you've seen the XEmacs toolbar, you may notice, its ``flatterned''
style (as opposed to GNU Emacs 21 toolbar) -- which IMHO is not only
common, but nice -- and there's no need for 3D. Moreover, the latter
will only confuse the user.

So, I would not use these XEmacs buttons in favor of the old ones.

Again, that is only my IMHO.

---Vas

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Colorized and cleaned Buttons
@ 2003-01-13  1:09   ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-01-13  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

 VK> If you've seen the XEmacs toolbar, you may notice, its ``flatterned''

Let me add a little. To be correct, it's:

1. flat
2. dim
3. big

-- as opposed to GNU Emacs 21.

Julien's buttons only suffice the 3-rd item. They're also:

1. 3D
2. attractive

I think

1. The contrast of two on one toolbar isn't anyway nice.

2. Big and attractive buttons are not nice for a user, which spends a
   lot of time interfering with program -- they don't need to attract
   him. Even worse, they will confuse him.

---Vas

P.S. Sorry for being so messy. =((

@ 2003-01-13  5:46 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-01-13  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Julien Avarre <julien@avarre.com> writes:

> Whereas, I don't use the tool-bar-mode, I found Gnus buttons not very sexy.
> So Sunday, I tried to colorize and cleaning some.
>
> Any suggestions ?

I like them.  I think it looks more consistent because they're closer to
the style used for icons in other Emacs modes than some of the current
Gnus icons.

* Re: Colorized and cleaned Buttons
@ 2003-01-13  8:34     ` Julien Avarre
From: Julien Avarre @ 2003-01-13  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

deskpot@myrealbox.com (Vasily Korytov) was explaining  :

>  VK> If you've seen the XEmacs toolbar, you may notice, its ``flatterned''
>
> Let me add a little. To be correct, it's:
>
> 1. flat
> 2. dim
> 3. big
>
> -- as opposed to GNU Emacs 21.
>
> Julien's buttons only suffice the 3-rd item. They're also:
>
> 1. 3D
> 2. attractive
>
> I think
>
> 1. The contrast of two on one toolbar isn't anyway nice.
>
> 2. Big and attractive buttons are not nice for a user, which spends a
>    lot of time interfering with program -- they don't need to attract
>    him. Even worse, they will confuse him.
>
> ---Vas
>
> P.S. Sorry for being so messy. =((

I understand the meaning of your thoughts.

I'm totally with you : Xemacs' buttons shouldn't be changed because
they belong to Xemacs (ugly ?) graphics style.

Whereas Emacs' buttons have been taken from every where, so there are
badly arranged, there's no unity, and most of them are ugly.
I use Gnu Emacs, so I didn't realize this. Now it's clear.
I propose Gnus should not change "*-up.xpm" but take all Xpms.

What do you think ?

--
Julien

@ 2003-01-13 11:03       ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-01-13 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

 JA> I understand the meaning of your thoughts.

I'm glad. =)) Seriosly. It's sometimes hard to explain.

 JA> I'm totally with you : Xemacs' buttons shouldn't be changed because
 JA> they belong to Xemacs (ugly ?) graphics style.

 JA> Whereas Emacs' buttons have been taken from every where, so there are
 JA> badly arranged, there's no unity, and most of them are ugly.
 JA> I use Gnu Emacs, so I didn't realize this. Now it's clear.
 JA> I propose Gnus should not change "*-up.xpm" but take all Xpms.

 JA> What do you think ?

Sorry, I have problems remembering Gnus look on GNU Emacs. I've spent
some time comparing your buttons with the curent ones -- but out of
Emacs. (BTW, does your page body exactly match the default
Emacs.background?) And I can say, I like yours more. =))

@ 2003-01-15  0:08         ` Julien Avarre
From: Julien Avarre @ 2003-01-15  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)