* Topic bug?
@ 2002-09-27 15:07 Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 2002-09-27 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm using the latest development version of Oort Gnus from CVS and
I've noticed what I consider to be a bug with topics.

I have gnus-topic-display-empty-topics set to nil in my .gnus.el, so
empty topics aren't shown by default.  If I want to enter an empty
group for some reason, I hit 'j' and enter the group name.  The group
and the appropriate topic now appear in the group buffer, but only the
topic _directly_ above the group shows up.  I would expect all of the
topics to appear when I jump to the group.  For example, if I have a
layout like this:

  [ topic1 ]
    [ topic2 ]
      [ topic3 ]
        nnml:foo
    [ other topic ]
    [ another topic ]

When I hit 'j', to make nnml:foo appear, I would expect to see all of
the topics containing it displayed as above.  However, this is what I
see instead:

  [ topic1 ]
      [ topic3 ]
        nnml:foo
    [ other topic ]
    [ another topic ]

As you can see, this is a bit confusing, because you don't see topic2
any more (even though indentation indicates that a topic _should_ be
there).  I think it'd be much better if 'j' made nnml:foo, topic1,
_and_, topic2 (and any topics that are parents of topic2) appear in
the group buffer.

Does anyone agree/disagree with this?

-Emerick
Emerick Rogul             /\/     "how young are you, how old am i?
emerick@cs.bu.edu         /\/      let's count the rings around my eyes."
------------------------------------------------- 'i will dare', the mats

* Re: Topic bug?
@ 2002-12-29 16:22 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-29 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> I have gnus-topic-display-empty-topics set to nil in my .gnus.el, so
> empty topics aren't shown by default.  If I want to enter an empty
> group for some reason, I hit 'j' and enter the group name.  The group
> and the appropriate topic now appear in the group buffer, but only the
> topic _directly_ above the group shows up.  I would expect all of the
> topics to appear when I jump to the group.  For example, if I have a
> layout like this:
>
>   [ topic1 ]
>     [ topic2 ]
>       [ topic3 ]
>         nnml:foo
>     [ other topic ]
>     [ another topic ]
>
> When I hit 'j', to make nnml:foo appear, I would expect to see all of
> the topics containing it displayed as above.

Yup.  Fix in Oort Gnus v0.08 (i. e., CVS).