* definitely loosing mail: total expire deletes unread (but seen) mail
@ 2002-11-12 14:23 Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2002-11-12 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've suspected for a long time that either my understanding of the
total-expiry process is either flawed, or that total-expiry itself is
flawed.

Specifically, I have total-expiry set on a good number of
"mailing-list" boxes where I treat them like news groups:  IE, if they
are read then I'm done with them.  However, many times I'll read an
article and then M-u it to mark it as "unread" so that it'll stay
around.  But it doesn't.  After the expiry time is over, even those
disappear.

I thought that total-expiry is not supposed to delete unread articles?
They have been "seen" and have lost the ./N marks, but they were
definitely missing the read mark.

--
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will
 insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."   -- Terry Pratchett

* Re: definitely loosing mail: total expire deletes unread (but seen) mail
@ 2002-12-28 21:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-28 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> Specifically, I have total-expiry set on a good number of
> "mailing-list" boxes where I treat them like news groups:  IE, if they
> are read then I'm done with them.  However, many times I'll read an
> article and then M-u it to mark it as "unread" so that it'll stay
> around.  But it doesn't.  After the expiry time is over, even those
> disappear.

`M-u' doesn't set any mark -- it removes all readedness marks, thereby
making it unread again.  And if you then `C' or the like, it'll
become read again, and will be expired.

I think you might want `u' or `?' instead.

* Re: definitely loosing mail: total expire deletes unread (but seen) mail
@ 2003-01-06 15:57   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2003-01-06 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:
>> Specifically, I have total-expiry set on a good number of
>> "mailing-list" boxes where I treat them like news groups:  IE, if they
>> are read then I'm done with them.  However, many times I'll read an
>> article and then M-u it to mark it as "unread" so that it'll stay
>> around.  But it doesn't.  After the expiry time is over, even those
>> disappear.

Lars> `M-u' doesn't set any mark -- it removes all readedness marks, thereby
Lars> making it unread again.  And if you then `C' or the like, it'll
Lars> become read again, and will be expired.

Lars> I think you might want `u' or `?' instead.

You missed the point.  I did unmark it (to use more proper
terminology, as you pointed out) and it got expired.  It shouldn't
have.  That's the bad part.  I didn't hit C (or the like).

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-06 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> You missed the point.  I did unmark it (to use more proper
> terminology, as you pointed out) and it got expired.  It shouldn't
> have.  That's the bad part.  I didn't hit C (or the like).

Oh.  Huh.  That definitely used to work.

Does it not work in some groups, or in all groups?